BYYB Forums

Full Version: Skipjack Build
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Here is a link to my updated build blog at Tomsskipjack.blogspot.com

It's coming along slowly but surely.

the hull looks fantastic youre doing a geeat job
keep the updates coming !
Nice Job!

Dave
I've posted a couple of new updates on my skipjack build blog.

I made a fancy boat flippin jig to get it right side up after finishing the outside of the hull.

tomsskipjack.blogspot.com
looks great, your hull is the same blue as mine, looks great on the water.
interior is coming along, enjoy the sanding. i didn't cut out the storage cubbies along the seat backs like you did. i packed the space behind the seats with foam for floatation (pool noodles haha)

what colour ar you going with for the interior?
Bob,

The topsides will be "sand beige". I'm not sure if I'm going to use oyster white or just plain white in the cockpit. That's the oyster white in the cockpit right now. I'm using Rustolium paint so I'm limited to the colors they carry at the local hardware store. The spars and rails will be bright. 
Plain white is difficult to live with in the bright sun, lots of glare. If using a single part paint, you can add a few drops from another color to change the color. I do this regularly. In fact, a little brown in the can of bright white will make it a cream or ivory color. Just add and mix, until you get the color you want. If using Rustoleum Topside paint, you don't have any greens or blues to work with, but any modified alkyd (preferred) or or single part polyurethane mixed in will work, to tint it to a color you want.
I used Rustoleum topside paint semi-gloss white.  Paul is right about tinting it with some other color.  Even the semi gloss can be tough in bright sunlight.  However,as long as I have my sunglasses on I don't have any trouble even in the brightest days.  The semi gloss has another benefit.  It hides any irregularities in the underlying glass.  Make sure that you mix up enough tinted paint to do the job  because it can be pretty tough to match the tint if you run short. 

Al
This is a boat I built a few years ago and the cockpit seats have the traditional textured areas, separated by "waterways". It's the same color for both (sort of). I primed and put down 2 coats of the lighter color (kind of cream), over the whole cockpit. Once dry, I taped off the waterways. Then I added a few drops (more like a half a pint to a gallon) of a medium brown, to the base cream color. The result is the textured areas being just a shade darker. It's subtle, but effective. I could have made a bigger swing in the color difference, but I've found this is less desirable than the subtle thing shown here.
paul, that work looks amazing! i used a blue similar to toms boat, and for the interior / trim i went with "thundercloud grey" and the mast, bowsprit are a chestnut stained doug fir. not as beautiful as your work paul, but if i show it from far away.....
Pages: 1 2