BYYB Forums

Full Version: Maiden Voyage of The Hunslet
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Fellow Boat Builders,  After 10 months and  a couple weeks I have finally completed my Weekender, The Hunslet. I was going to invite everyone to the first launch but our computer died and I could not contact anyone. First two sails went well with only small alterations made after each trip. I would like to thank everyone who helped me through this build. This forum is great. A special thank you to Bill Paxton for introducing us to sailing. Life has not been the same since. Also thanks to Dave Blake for telling me where to get all the materials needed. All of you first timers; hang in there. there is an answer to every question; all you have to do is ask. I would post pics but Im not to that level yet. All for now.  Newly self appointed Captain Jim
Cool...congratulations...How about some pics Smile
Congratulations! And good build time, too. This would definitely go better with some obligatory photographic enhancement, though...
Take your time, enjoy light air days for a while, as you get a feel for the puppy. A fine achievement, congratulations. Of course, the request for pictures will increase with intensity, but mostly because we're jealous and need some new boat pron to calm us down.
Congratulations Jim!

Pics! Pics! Pics! Pics!...
Big Grin
Some photos of Jim's Weekender.  Another modified cabin/cockpit treatment, half-way between a classic and Bill Paxton's "Surprise", the open Weekender.  The bigger cockpit will be a welcome feature if you're bigger than a Munchkin, and the cuddy cabin will be excellent storage for your cargo of fermented barley malt.  Congratulations, Jim!

Dave
great looking boat nice job! whats the cabin look like?
Excellent!!
The "cuddy" style of cabin sure does work on this much better, plus the extra cockpit volume too. I'm not keen on the stair step treatment on the combing (looks painful and could catch lines), but it could be continued aft or rounded off. A cuddy is really all you need on a day boat or as a weekend cruiser.
Congratulations, Jim!  She's a beauty. 

I agree with you that this forum is essential to boatbuilders.  The tips and encouragement are vital.

Now you know the feeling known only to those who sail boats they build.  The rest of this year will be about learning to sail, and making notes of things you want to change.  But hey, that's what winters are for.

Nice work, Jim!

Bill