BYYB Forums

Full Version: New Member - Brian Nix
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello All,

I am planning on building a Vacationer starting this August. I have built two 8ft mini-brigantines, and have sailed on  numerous vessels. I am mostly a dinghy/small boat sailor. The most challenging boat  I have sailed/owned was an older wood-built Star Class built by Carl Pedersen.  I have grown up around sailboats all my life both on the east coast of the United States (Mystic, Conn.) and in the Pacific Northwest.  The Vacationer looks to be a real challenge, but it suits my sailing needs perfectly.

I am interested in meeting and socializing with other current/active members who might have built or are building boats in/around the Gulf Islands of British Columbia, and the San Juan Islands, of Washington State. Is there a BYYB fleet for the Cascades/Pacific Northwest - B.C./W.A. region? I would be very interested in exchanging building tips, and social sail gatherings.. the Sailstice Regattas look like a real blast.

Hope to be an active part of this community,

Cheers!
Brian

Welcome Brian! 
8 foot brigantines??  We gotta see pictures of those!
(06-25-2013, 12:02 PM)Brian Nix link Wrote: [ -> ]... I have built two 8ft mini-brigantines, ...

I am assuming these were display models or maybe Radio Controlled?

You might enjoy Pacific Tall Ships ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4oowTitdn9Q

http://www.pacific-tall-ships.com/ is a local Chicagoland business in Lamont Illinois, located just off the Cal-Sag channel, which is the major waterway linking the Great Lakes to the Mississippi River. They build museum quality display models of many famous ships from history. Most of the models are in the two to three foot range so they display nicely on a shelf behind or on top of a writing desk, but some are much larger ...

[Image: gallery3.jpg] [Image: gallery4.jpg]

Somewhere in my old 35mm photos I have pictures of frighteningly detailed models of the Constitution and the Cutty Sark, both of which were almost 10 feet tall (mast tops scraping the ceiling). They sat in wheeled cradles in the lobby to the store. Old Ironside's cannons were hand made turned brass.  From memory, I would guess the hulls to both of these models were about 10 feet long. Of course standing in front of them, they looked much larger. Either model would set you back enough cash to buy a very nice car, as they were man-years in the making.

Cheers,
Tom

Greetings Brian,

Is this you in the foreground?

[Image: 3475205284_d8fe045fc2_z.jpg]

and both brigantines together?

[Image: AdventureLiberte1.jpg]

Avast me hearties, those be awesome vessels!  8)

Cheers,
Tom
Yes, those are the brigs.... they are sailed with two adults..  alot of fun...to battle..  but me sailing legs are a we bit cramped.... and they just aren't big enough for family excursions  Wink.  I Need a more practical vessel, to enjoy and explore local waters.

[Image: mini%20brig%20battles.jpg]
wee little brigs in the Fraser!
Brian,  there are two other pacnorthwest me bers near seattle and myself as well just starting my build.  MEMBER Barry is l very knowledgeable,  and has a beautiful weekender that should hit the water soon.  I like the idea of a pacific northwest fleet Smile Do you ever get down to San Jauns, or se attle area?

Regards,

Will
Hey Will,

My family has a smaller 23' O'Day that we trailered from the east coast back when we moved from Mystic, Conn. in '78. It is moored in Pt. Roberts. We sailed over to Orcas Island last Victoria Day (May 21st) and stayed at Resario.

I also took a ferry over last summer to San Juan Island, camped out 5 days and then took it to Sidney/Victoria... went up island to Tofino, then down to Courteny/Comox and the ferried back to Steveston on the Duke Point-Tswassen route.

So I do like to get into the islands, I do not frequent Seattle as much, but often take day trips down to Bellingham and Fairhaven.. Seattle is quick and easy drive from here. I have a sister than lives in Oregon, not far from Portland.

Lately even though I am young, my health went south, and I am currently recovering..from a hospital stay. In the next couple weekends ahead I will be laying keel and start framing. During the winter I worked on things like rope stropped blocks, and planing the hatchways, got a copy of "Marlinspike Sailor" . I highly recommend if you havent done so, visit your local library or look around on the internet... I got mine for about $6 shipping in, and its in good shape..

I realy like the trailerability of the "Vacationer" and the idea is the ability to launch from Bellingham or Anacortes, and make the run over to the San Juan Islands shorter. I would love to gunkhole over on Lopez, or Sucia .. etc.. etc.. as well as be able to fire over to Gulf Islands... like Galiano, Cabbage, Mayne, Pender, etc... from north of the border..

I think a Pac West-Cascadia fleet makes great sense.. I look forward to your build pictures.. I will post some stuff on my build soon..

Brian

Â