BYYB Forums

Full Version: making my own Genoa
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
To continue this thread, this is a classic example of why a well made (shaped) sail is better then a home made one. I just had a custom mainsail built. I spent an hour and a half on the phone with the sailmaker going over the boat's weight, CG, RM bendiness of the rig, luff round, panel shapes, location of max camber, etc. Most of this is above what the novice sail maker can understand, in fact more then I do in some regards, which is why I called the sailmaker in the first place. A sailmaker knows how to build a sail that will set well in various wind strengths and most importantly, how to build it so it also wears well with time. The sail I now have will set ideally with the rig I've built and will last a long time. Do not discount the sailmaker, they know a whole lot more about these things then even the designer.

I suspect there are lots of sails that will fit the Weekender/Vacationer/PC. Another to check out might be the the FlyingScot headsails and spinnaker.
You're not kidding Paul,

At the end of the day I had to short tack back to the dock in a dying wind.  I was pinching up as much as I could to make all the ground possible with each tack before the wind died all together.  I use my wind x indicator probably more than I should, but it helps me to figure things out faster.  Anyway, it showed me that I was able in very light wind to pinch up maybe ten degrees higher than normal and still make good progress.  I think that is significant.  I may be wrong, but I attribute that to the shapely new sail. 

Al
Although I must agree with Paul, it kind of jars me that on this forum we consider building a whole boat to be well within the capabilities of any dedicated amateur. So why should a sail be out of the reach for most of us? Of course one can start with a polytarp contraption, but making a proper sail should not be impossible either. It doesn't need much magic, just knowing what to do, and then doing it.
I agree in part,

I am quite happy with the poly tarp lapper I made.  It sets well and gives that extra oomph that makes everything feel better.  However, the  new sail is noticeably better in just about every aspect.  I don't have any trouble getting it to pull no matter what I am trying to do.  When it pulls, it is noticeable with my eyes shut.  Just the other day I took Duckie up to the same lake for a relaxing sail on a moderate wind day.  I decided to follow the shoreline around the lake as closely as I could without going aground.  This involved quite a bit of tacking and an equal amount of jibeing.  It turned out to be a pretty technical sail.  In the end it took me about the same amount  time to sail further and with more maneuvering than I have just circling the lake.  At the end of the day I decided to put her on a beam reach to see how fast I could cross the lake.  I wish I had taken a video.  I had little breaking tops on the waves of my wake.  My outboard won't push her that fast.  I can't wait to do that again.

Al
Pages: 1 2