BYYB Forums

Full Version: Don't try this at home
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Okay, without going into the whys and wherefores, yesterday I got caught in a pretty nasty lightning storm.  Once I could see the small but very intense cell coming at me I thought I could sail around the edge of it, but just before it arrived, the wind shifted because of it and I was dead in the water.  I was pretty sure that there was going to be a nasty wind situation associated with its arrival and I wasn't wrong.  The worst of it though was the lightning that was striking all around me. 

When I was sure that I was in danger of a knockdown, I struck both sails and let the sheets fly.  I dove into the cabin and put on my rain coat and pulled the hatch cover over my head in an attempt to keep the cabin dry.  I think that was a mistake.  Even with the sails down and luffing, the wind heeled the boat enough that I think I should have been in the cockpit to hike out to keep her on her feet.  I figured that if I were struck by lightning, being low and centered in the boat was my best bet.  At the time, it seemed like I had to pick my poison, either burned or drowned.  When the cell passed by, the wind was gone.  There was no wind so I grabbed the oars and beat it back to the landing before the next cell which I could see arrived.  Ya know, these little boats can get going  pretty  good with just oars.

So anyway, what would those of you with more experience have done differently?

Al
Al: I'm glad to hear you are ok. How far out were you? I always check the weather before I go out and if there is a chance of a storm I stay pretty close to shore. Seems the Weekender can take some bad weather if the sails are down.
I was sailing in the harbor.  I stopped near a couple of very large cranes in hopes that they would get hit before me.  I suppose I was 200 feet from the wharf where the cranes were, and about a mile from the landing.  I checked all the available weather forecasting sources before I set out from the house, but with these little cells you just can't tell until it is too late.

The wind that hit me was like a hammer blow,  but it wasn't as  bad as it could have been.  With the main lashed to the boom and the boom swinging on the topping lift, I figured I was as safe as I could get as far as getting knocked over went.  I trusted the boat to take care of herself and she seemed to do just that.  However, lightning or no I'm going to stay topside if I ever end up in the same situation. 

Al
(06-17-2013, 05:29 AM)Al Stead link Wrote: [ -> ]... yesterday I got caught in a pretty nasty lightning storm.  Once I could see the small but very intense cell coming at me I thought I could sail around the edge of it, ...

Greetings Al,

It never works out; you can never get out of the way. Storms by definition generally travel in excess of 30 mph, and your little boat always travels less than its 5 mph hull speed. Even the tiniest of storm cells will be several miles wide. Thinking you can move at all in relation to the storm cell is an illusion. Either the storm will hit you, or it will not, but you will have no control over what happens.

Locally, we are lucky in this regard as our sailing pond is small enough that we all KNOW we are trapped, and have no place to run to … except to shore for the relative safety of the car in the parking lot, or the real safety of the brick and mortar pavilion that houses the park ranger.

We are stupid enough to have tried this many times on our bicycles – all high end carbon fiber racing machines. We meet for serious training rides several times a week, regardless of the weather. When properly motivated, say by an approaching storm cell spitting lighting bolts and rolling thunder claps, we can drive our paceline in excess of a sustained 30 mph. Storm moves +30 mph. We move +30 mph. And we have animated radar plots available in real time on our smart phones. So you would think we would have a chance to run around the edge, right? Nope. It has never happened. We always get wet. The best we can do is to ride out to meet the storm and then turn tail and run before it; and even that is a 50%-50% proposition.

So the next time you see a storm cell, just get off the water. It's the only sane thing to do.

Cheers,
Tom
(06-17-2013, 05:29 AM)Al Stead link Wrote: [ -> ]  Ya know, these little boats can get going  pretty  good with just oars.

Al

A really scared skipper might just git her on a plane with oars. ;-)

I would agree, with a lake or even a small bay, the best way to avoid being struck is preventative. The best way is to know your waters, typically if an area has certian wind patterns, the wind may blow one direction in the morning, or another at night.. gustier at certains spots or times of the day.

From my experience, knowing the wind patterns in your locael is very helpful. If you normally sail in a particular direction, but suddenly the wind seems to be changing direction.. there is a good chance a storm cell is coming, even if you don't know it yet. Once you notice that dead calm, and shift of direction.. that is a sign it's time to head in... everything may seem peachy at the time.. It something you just kind of "sense" after you know your waters... "hey this isnt right" and you are usually right!

Lightning is something best to be avoided in a boat, and there is no real sure fire way to avoid it - other than do everything you can to get off the water.  If you suspect it to be real rough, but dont think you can make it,  then get in where you have enough anchor rode, drop all sails... and make sure they are secured... and drop an anchor...

Many sailing accidents are caused by people trying to head in during rough conditions, sometimes a following sea can drive you hard into a dock, or up on a rocky reef. A large wave can "lift" a boat out of the water so you can suddenly lose steerage, this can create a very bad situation, in a narrow channel or while trying to reach a warf... Of course, knowing your boats limits really helps here... of when it is best to go in, or best to wait it out.

In my experience, it is best to "sit out" the squall, if you can't reasonably make it to shore.  If you can find an inlet or semi protected bay to heave to, and drop anchor. If you cannot "heave to", drop your motor or have your oars ready.. and make sure your headsail is stowed...  this will allow you to point the boat into the chop, so you aren't taking waves broadside....  Use your motor or oars to maintain control... and just keep going until the waves and wind make it reasonable to head in.

Make sure your motor is running before you drop all your sails... if you drop the main, and can't get the motor started this will leave you adrift... another potentially dangerous scenario. I would prefer to rely on a reefed main, than oars in this situation.... if you didnt have a motor.

Topsides is generally where I like to be in a storm... unless I am safely snug or tucked in  at a secure anchorage...

Brian

In this particular case and the reason I was asking, was that there was no option to get off the water.  I knew that a wall of wind was going to hit me and only had a few minutes to prepare for it.  I like the idea of striking the head sail.  My  problem was that I wasn't sure of the exact direction the wall of wind would hit me from .  If it came from a bad direction, even a reefed main would be enough to knock me down.  Had this been a large cell, I would have been more confident of the wind, but it was so small that the down draft was unpredictable. 

I didn't have time top deploy my anchor.  When I am just messing around, I don't keep it all that handy.  I may have had enough time to deploy a drogue,  but who carries one of those on a weekender?  I only bring my outboard when I am going out far enough to have to stay overnight if I have a problem.  There are very many times when getting off the water are not an option for me.  I like to go places when I am sailing, so the water is big enough that getting off of it is a problem and the shoreline is often inhospitable.  So, my main thrust is what would be the most seamanlike drill to prepare a boat like weekender to get hit by a squall line.  The lightning is a given.

Al
Seamanship is the best option in these types of events. Head off if, you have maneuvering room, as it'll ease the strain on the rig. Get the reefs in early, so you're not over powered and having to do it in a driving rain on a pitching deck. Stay away from stuff, especially big ass cranes. Unless you have lightening protection, you don't want to be anywhere near a strike, trust me.

I've been aboard a yacht twice, when it was hit, once with protection and once without. The protected boat had some damage, but just some burned wires, clips etc., all related to the protection gear. The unprotected yacht was dismasted and the crew (me included) where rendered unconscious for some time, leaving the boat to find her own way. We awoke to a partly swamped boat, with a mast whirling around in a huge hole through the cabin top. Trust me folks, you don't want to be anywhere near a strike, without protection.

All this said, getting hit is fairly remote. I live in the lightening capital of the USA and a summer thunderstorm can bring 20,000 hits in an hour (easily). Other than the two incidents, I've never been hit or had any of my stuff hit (house, barn, trees, cars, etc.), so getting a hit is rare, even on the water, especially in a wooden boat.

I disagree in that running for shelter isn't a good idea. It is a good idea and a prudent one. The same is true of SCA's about to be posted and other sea state condition changes, that can overwhelm a small boat. Lastly, never leave the helm unattended. This is a great way to broach or otherwise find yourself in trouble. All of these boats are small, light and unballasted enough, that left to their own devices (unattended helm) can mean she'll ship way too much water, for a pump or capsize in beam sea. Yeah, you'll get wet, but you'll be in control and able to steer through trouble, rather then taking what comes and hoping for the best. Never hope for the best, you're better off by doing your best, to steer and guide your baby safely home. Once you do this a time or two, you develop a much greater confidence in your abilities and that of your little ship, which is a much better way of approaching things. Statistically, this is the appropriate method for survival, if you like to play the odds.
Thanks Paul, 

I'm really grateful to have old heads on this list that can  set me straight when I get things way too wrong.  Yeah, I was lucky.  I knew it right away and felt like an idiot.  Having said that, how's this sound?  I know that a wall of wind is headed my way.  I heave to and drop the jib and reef the main.  I then try to head up as close as I can without losing headway and helm control.  I keep the main ready to luff if I get hit too hard and am in danger of going over.  Once the winds hits I try to maintain that balance until it has passed whereupon I change my shorts and carry on. 

Any good?

Al