BYYB Forums

Full Version: hinge or tabernacle
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
so, i'm about to start finishing my new wooden mast, and i need to make a choice between a hinge, or the tabenacle setup. my mast is 2.5 " , solid douglas fir . if i go with the tabernacle, then i'll have the 2 pieces sticking up approx 2 ft up the mast. if i use the hinge, im just concerned it'll twist / bend. i've read alot of posts here about both, but wanted to get some current thoughts, any input would really help Smile

also, for those who use the tabernacle system, how high up the mast should the side pieces extend?

pictures will be posted next week, i'll start the staining, drilling monday! the lake should be waiting for me by next weekend

thanks
Hello Bob,

I went with the hinge.  I think the hinge works just fine, but it isn't without its issues.  Yes it will twist a bit, but what wouldn't pivoting such a long lever.  Don't lose the pin! Last winter I welded the tabs so that they wouldn't loosen anymore.  Make sure that the two pieces of the mast fit pretty close to one another.  Mine don't and I am constantly  catching things in the small gap. 
I may either rebuild or replace my mast someday, but right now I think I would stay with the hinge if I do.

Al

The gaff rig is a pretty forgiving thing, but generally you do want the rigging strains to transmit through the mast, into the mast stub, base or tabernacle, eventually dispersing to the hull shell. If the mast doesn't touch at the hinge, then all the energy is taken by a little pin and some stamped steel straps, which will bend in time. I prefer tabernacles, just because they are stout enough to tolerate the mast going up and down a lot, with a bit more control, especially if you have to do it on the water to clear a bridge or something. The hinge works and a similar arrangement is used on production boats, but neither is very durable if the boat gets used a lot. How much is a lot? I'm in one of my boats at least 3 times a week, nearly every week of the year. That's a couple dozen times a month, which will wear out a weak knee part pretty quick. If you're a casual sailor and once a week is a lot to you, maybe the hinge is all you need.