BYYB Forums

Full Version: Barndooor rudder and over-the transom tiller for Vacationer.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I wanted to change the tiller on my Vacationer:  Over the transom tiller and a balanced rudder.  PAR came up with a great design.  Here's a preview.  BTW, the weather here has finally warmed up enough to start doing boaty things.  I attached the cabin top this afternoon!  I'll send pictures to follow both of my overall progress and a step-by-step chronology of my rudder/tiller swap out.

Dave
Hi Dave,

Here's a picture of  my over the transom tiller arrangement.

Al
Al, where did you get your gudgeons and pintles?
Hey  Bill,

I get almost all of my  boaty stuff from Duckworks.  They carry the racelite brand of metal boat gear.  I had a little trouble getting these to line up and ended up having to drill out the bottom ( is it pintle ) that hangs on the stern post.  Once I got the bottom loosened up everything fell together.

Looking forward to seeing you tomorrow.

Al
I've spec'd the RaceLite pintles and gudgeon for this rudder as well. The Stamped steel straps on the RaceLite stuff, sometimes  needs to be tweaked a bit to get things to align, but a whack with a deadblow will usually do the trick. The RL-WK set is designed for the Weekender, but will also work on the Vacationer.