BYYB Forums

Full Version: Free plans
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Over the last decade or so, I've done a number of sketches and drawings to explain things and also to make modifications. I'm considering offering these for free.

Now naturally, most are ready to jump on this concept, but I must suggest there are some costs associated with some of the "packages", mostly related to shipping and some to printing. For example, to send a 3 pound shipping tube, with some level of tracking, through the USPS in the continental USA, it's about $20 bucks to Seattle from here. I've recently discovered I can send drawings in the "Priority Mail Bulk Rate Box" (the medium box) for a little less than half this, regardless of the weight.

Now, most of these plans sets wouldn't be very heavy, but I have sent plans in tubes (for years) which weigh a lot and this is what you pay for. If Craig could ring in and tell you how much his plan set weighed, it'll give you an idea (big set of drawings).

With the bulk rate boxes, the price is fixed up to an ungodly weight (for plans), so I just need to eat some packing peanuts (plans are rolled and packed with peanuts in the box) and printing.

The plans sets would include basic epoxy use and techniques, building tips and tricks and other stuff, but would treat each subject separately.

I'm thinking I have a package for:

- Over the transom tiller and rudder upgrade, using the stock rudder and stock keel
- Over the transom tiller w/ a fixed rudder (no kickup feature) with both the extended draft or
  stock draft blade (stock draft is a barn door style), as options to the modified keel upgrade,
  though can work on the stock keel too.
- The modified keel with differing drafts (there are a few different versions of these)
- Mast box and hinge eliminating, mast tabernacle setup
- Scantlings for a full up taped steam (stitch and glue) conversion on both Vacationer and
  Weekender as well as selecting wood and identifying good from bad plywood.

This is what I have in house at the moment, without having to do a lot of work. If posted because of some recent interest and because I'm busy trying to homogenize some files.

The work has been done, so costs are only related to shipping and printing, which isn't very much in the big picture. The bulk box is about $11 bucks anywhere in the lower 48 and not much more to Canada. Foam peanuts don't cost much, so it's just the cost of firing up the beast (my printer, which has a mind and temperament of it's own). I'm asking what you folks think would be fair for printing costs and if this would be a thing you'd be interested in seeing available.
Pick a price, Paul.  I'll buy it today!  BTW thanks for the e-mail on the tiller.  I'd be most interested in the over the transom tiller arrangement with the stock keel and (kick-up) rudder for my Vacationer.

Dave
What Dave Blake said. Pick a price. I too am interested in the over the transom tiller arrangement for my weekender.
I've settled on a few different prices, depending on what you want and how you'll receive it.

For experienced builders, looking for just the primary drawing(s) for the upgrade the file can be uploaded to a data storage site (like i-Disk) or sent directly to your email for $7. This doesn't include tips and tricks, instructions, other then what's on the drawing(s), etc. This is for experienced builders, that have an idea of what their about to do, but just need some dimensions and spec's.

A full set of drawings, including building tips, tricks, instructions, epoxy use, etc. is $22 and again a site upload or JPG's sent to your email. In both the above and this package, you'll have to print out the drawings (if desired) or just work from the screen images. The drawings are scaled, so you'll need to go to an office supply outfit (like Office Max, Office Depot, etc.) to get over size printing done. Just take the files in on a disk or thumb drive.

A hard copy, full drawing set, can be shipped to you door anywhere in the continental USA for $42. Plans are printed on acid free, over size stock in color. Shipping is included in this price. This is the same package as above, except fully printed and set to you by Priority Mail.