BYYB Forums

Full Version: Help me choose
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I'm a new member with no sailng experience. I've always loved the romance of sailing, but never had the oportunity to go sailing. I've decided I should do something about that, but I can't decide which boat to build. I've narrowed it down to three and would love to hear opinions on them. Here's what I'm looking at:

15' Glen-L Sloop 15

Schooner 15 1/2 from Shell boats

The Super Skipjack

I realise that this site may be biased towards the Super Skipjack, but would like to hear viewpoint on all three, if possable. Thanks in advance, looking forward to reading responses.
The Glen-L 15 is an older design (early 1960's) and a plywood over frames build. It could be upgraded to a taped stem build, though you'll need some help with the scantlings in this regard. It sails well, can get to full plane with some breeze and she will perform well against most modern sailors. It's obviously a protected water only boat, but has lots of room inside for a number of "crew". It's an easy setup rig, though modest staying is required. I've never liked the sheer on the Glen-L 15, thinking the belly is too far forward.

The Schooner 15 1/2 is a cat schooner, which detracts from sailing abilities a bit. It's unique looking, but is only available as a kit or a finished boat. Not terribly expensive, but not the same as building from scratch either. It too has lots of interior room, which are free of frames, because it's a taped seam build. A Glen-L 15 would crush it in a race and she wouldn't fair very well against a modern boat, but the kit does make things a little easier.

The Supper SkipJack is a plank over bulkhead and partition build, mixing old and some newer techniques. The larger Weekender rig will make this boat scoot fairly well, but both the above boats will be faster. The schooner will not be able to point as a high as the SkipJack and neither will point anywhere close to the Glen-L Bermudian sloop. The SkipJack is the heaviest of the three and has the more complex rig. On the other hand, she also has the saltiest look. Her upwind abilities are offset with an old school charm that the other two just can't muster.

The advantages and disadvantages of each boat can be a bit subjective, depending on priorities and personal tastes. If you want an easy boat to sail, the schooner is the best choice. It has a free standing rig and very little running rigging to contend with. If you want a classic look, the SkipJack has them all beat easily. If you want more contemporary styling and some performance potential, for additional fun once you gain experience, the Glen-L is the ticket.

There are hundreds of designs in this general size. I have several, but I'd have to recommend B&B Yachts - Core Sound 15 or the Bay River skiff. These both are 15' on deck, taped seam builds, both use a cat ketch rig, many have been built and an active web site about these boats and an approachable designer to answer questions too. The cat ketch rig is a better rig to windward then the cat schooner, but still has all the advantages of a free standing rig (no wires), fully rotating masts and sprit booms, which are much less likely to bonk you on the head. Both of these designs can handle deeper water when you get some experience and build up bravery.

In the end, you just need to sit down and make a list of your priorities, so you can refine your search. With your experience level, you'll likely have to come back here, where I (and others) will offer a straight up opinion. One thing to consider is will the boat's abilities permit you to continue your "growth" as a sailor. In short, after a year or two, will you out grow the boat's performance envelop or does it have enough potential, to challenge you as an intermediate and experienced sailor too.

Welcome to the forum . . .

Thanks for the response Paul. That's exactly the type of info I need. I'll check out the designs you mentioned. I will be sailling in protected waters (if I understand the term correctly), and do not expect to do any camping or overnight trips. I live near Kentucky Lake in TN and plan on sailing there as a home base. My desires in a sailboat are few, due mainly to my lack of experience (I don't know what I don't know, so I can't always ask the right question). My priorities are:

It must be trailer freindly.

I expect to often be sailing alone so I don't want too large of a boat, but I'm too large, so it can't be a real small boat.

I want to stay dry (I don't mind being wet, but it plays hell with the hearing aids).

As long as it's fun, it doesn't matter how fast I'm actually going, although I wouldn't like being passed by a row boat.

I want a boat that looks good and is easy to sail.

I like the shallow draft of the Stevenson designs.

The only other concern I have is that I have never been on a sailboat. What if I build a boat and find out I hate it?
Sailing is sublime.  My first sailboat was a snark.  It's really not much different than a big styrofoam surfboard with a rudder and LOM sail attached.  Since she was made of styrofoam I couldn's sink her but it was a pretty wet ride!

Generally I was the slowest thing on the water, in fact, if the wind died even the rowboates would go right past me.  That being said sailing my little snark was the stuff of joy!  Whether it was just ghosting along and daydreaming or tearing madly accross the lake on windy days I can think of no time on that boat that I wasn't completely happy.

In a sense, their are no bad sailboates if your perspective is right.
When I finished my weekender I figured that she didn't owe me a dime.  I had more fun just building it than I had experienced in a very long time.  Enjoy that process by itself and then if the sailing doesn't work out, so what?

Al
I second the Core Sound 15 for a relatively dry boat that's easy to setup and sail, plus  great support.
Bill, the best thing you can do is beg, borrow or steal (my usual choice) a ride on someone's sailboat. Kentucky Lake has a fairly strong sailing crowd, so check around. There will be sailing clubs, class races, regattas, etc. The fast way to learn is to "crew" on someone's racer, like a Flying Scot or WindMill (or similar). These boats offer some performance, yet are easily handled. Of course, you're left to the "draw" as to what type of skipper you end up with, but you can try out different ones and you'll learn fast who the captain Bligh's are.

Sailing is fairly intuitive, with your body naturally figuring things out. Sailing better then others in similar boats takes experience, cunning and down right ruthlessness, plus occasionally cheating when you can get away with it. This is why serving as crew on a little racer produces skill gains quickly. The skipper will tell you how to trim sails, how to maneuver, how to screw the other boat along side yours, etc. These skills help when you get out on your own and start puttering around.

Of all the boats previously mentioned, the Bay Skiff will be the driest ride, though this can be a relatively speculative term, as punching up wind in a chop, is bound to bring a wave or three over the bow. It's really just some spray, unless you're white knuckle sailing, which as a novice, you shouldn't be considering. The second driest boat would be the Core Sound 15, the third the SkipJack, with the schooner and the Glen-L 15 being respectively at the bottom of the list.

Protected waters means, ponds, lakes, small rivers and small bays. Kentucky Lake can get pretty rough in certain areas, so stay near shore or the narrow spots, until you've got some experience.
Thanks for the replies everyone. As far as sailboats on Kentcky lake go, I see quite a few in the big marina's, but I've never seen one on the lake. I'll have to see if I can find out where they're hangin' out.......
One more option for you:  The Goat Island Skiff, easy build, simple rig, fast.  Here are some videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AeeWAV-JF...8C4C3F1885
Thanks for the suggestion Will. I'm leaning towards the Core Sound 15.

Bill
Pages: 1 2