BYYB Forums

Full Version: Starting our Weekender !
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
After meeting with Barry, I have decided not to wait any longer.  The choice in boats is made, and we are building the Weekender.  Every project has a beginning, and mine started over the Easter weekend.  I have to make space in our garage to build this cool little boat.  I spent Friday and Saturday organizing and cleaning in the garage.  It doesn't look like it in the pic, but I have made lots of progress!  80% of my tools are accounted for, sorted and have a home again.  I have moved many boxes to upper storage, and unpacked several.  Over the next few days the floor will open up lots, and a big center space will appear by the end of this weekend, that should be big enough for the boat Smile

Regards,

Will

[Image: GARGEPROGRESS1.jpg]
good luck Will, good to see a fellow garage space user to the max!!
Gerrard
That looks like just about the same amount of room I used....

Today I sent a  request to my local lumber supplier for pricing on wood for the stringers and keel.  I am eagerly awaiting their response.

Regards,

Will
HOLY CRAP  :o just for the Keel boards and the 1 a6' board for the stringers....total of the quote was $729.00 after tax.  I asked them to quote me for all the boards being clear and quarter sawn...  I will be checking with others hat are local next....I tried calling BUSE, but they only wholesale to businesses.... Sad

Regards,

Will
What kind of lumber are you using for your keel?
Brit ,

I was pricing douglas fir, clear, quarter sawn...

Regards,

Will
With some acquired knowledge, you can just go down to the local Lowe's/Depot and select perfectly good stock from their dimensional stock isle.

I buy 2x10's and 2x12's just for this reason, usually 16' long. The reason is simple, to get a hunk of wood this big, it has to come from an older tree, so it's easy to cut it up into smaller dimensions, with straight, clear grain runs. A 1x6 is nothing more then a 2x6 that's been sliced down the middle. If you want quarter sawn stock, rip a 2x12 down the middle, making it a 2x6, then rip it again, so it's a 1x6. This is precisely what they do and you're paying for it.

A lot of firms only sell to businesses, so spend $50 bucks and get a business license. Call yourself a product manufacture of some sort and then use this to get a business account with the company. The outfit I get plywood from, sells only to business and don't even let the public roam through their show room.

There's a recent thread here about how to look at lumber to judge if it's suitable for use. This same thread also has some examples and suggestions for your search at the local big box store.

Rather then pay someone to cut your stock to dimension, rent a table saw if you need to and rip the stuff up yourself, it's a lot cheaper, even including the tool rental. As an example, if you need a bunch of 1x2's (.75"x1.5"), then rip the edge off a 2x4 at 3/4" of an inch. You'll get a 1x2 that's quarter sawn.  For that matter, you can also rent a surface planer and mill the stock to thickness. A day or two of rental fees isn't much and you'll have more control over the output.
Ok Paul, that makes sense.  I will have to go and have a look at my local lowes and home depot to see what I can see.  My boss has a planer and a saw that I could use if needed.

Thanks,

Will.
The business license is a must-have. I am currently a re-seller. I'm not even really sure what that means, except that I get a tax ID number, and can get into wholesale lumber yards.

Be selective when you get your lumber. It is not milled as well as it once was, it is not as easy to get special cuts, and no one at the box store will be able to answer the really tough questions.  My mast was built from plainsawn 2X12's from Home Depot, because when cut at 90 deg, the staves were then quartersawn.

Take some time. I went through two units of 1/4" ply looking for my Weekender stock. The guys there were not impressed, but I got what I needed. Just be sure to return what you don't buy to the stack nicely.

Pages: 1 2 3 4