BYYB Forums

Full Version: Welcome to The Breeze!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Steven Hunt

The Executive Committee is proud to introduce a new feature to our BBS: The Breeze

Veteran Sailor Paul Riccelli has agreed to help provide sailing advice to all of us rookie and experienced sailors. So stop on in, grab a cup of grog, and "shoot the breeze" with Paul.
It’s sailing season again. At least in the sunny south it is and I’ve been in two races already this season. I don’t race much anymore, it’s a sport for younger folks, that don’t have to dose up on a handful of Advil before the gig. I do like bigger boat racing, which requires less jumping around and little hiking out, but there’s not a lot of call for this type of sailing on the lakes in my area. Therefore, I get my fill on Lasers, Flying Scots and other fun little flyers from time to time. I usually regret it the next day and swear I’ll not abuse myself anymore, but it never seems to last.

The title, of this addition to BYYB’s other offerings, is “The Breeze” and is about sailing. Most of us find wind in the 5 to 15 knot range just fine and these Stevenson boats are well suited for these wind strengths. In fact, I’ll bet most of you have been amazed at the ability to sail in wind less then 5 knots. This is a direct result of several factors, but predominantly a scale with the weight of the boat, crew and supplies in comparison with the amount of sail area placed up in the rig. Designers call this the Sail Area Displacement ratio or SA/D for short. SA/D = Sail Area/(Displacement in cubic feet) 2/3 and is a good indication of a boat’s ability in light wind. The Stevenson yachts have very good light air performance and their mid 18 SA/D number (gotten with the math shown above) reflects this.

Good ability in light air is typical for darn near all small sailboats, but the number can be used for comparisons with other boats. It doesn’t make much sense to design a slug for the winds we enjoy being in the most.

Some areas of the country (or world) require more or less ability, so the SA/D may be adjusted to suit local conditions. In Europe for example, the SA/D for a similar boat may be lower, because they have harsher wind in many places there, as opposed to our winds in the USA. They need reduced sail plans to keep them upright more often then we do. A boat that is intended to sail around the Golden Gate Bridge will also have a reduced sail plan, because of the higher winds experienced there. The Chesapeake Bay (my boyhood stomping ground) is known for its light winds, so a taller, larger sail plan will be drawn.

The idea here is to provide a place where we can discuss sailing, seamanship and what to do when . . . happens on the water. This will also be a good place to refine tactics in rough weather, learn about boat handling, other possibilities are maximizing boat speed when the wind is just about gone, address weather helm, docking single handed, etc. We can discuss whatever is flogging you needs, while you’re on the wet stuff in your pride and joy. There are a number of very skilled skippers on the forum and I’m sure they’ll make themselves known as this develops along. Welcome aboard . . .