BYYB Forums

Full Version: New Member - Florida
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi All,

I purchased a Weekender this past weekend.  It was built by a gentleman in his 70's and is now 80 and can't handle it anymore.  His build was more for the fun of the build.  He has sailed it but very little. 

I haven't built a boat but I have done my share of sailing both in daysailors as well as larger sailboats for extended cruising.  I have been missing it and was looking for something that was trailerable and would handle the shallow grass flats of the Indian River Lagoon.  I had a larger sailboat that we sailed down from New England but we quickly got bored without destinations to go to for quick trips and going up and down the channel or out in the ocean and back.  Also got tired of the marina fees.  So we sold it and bought a power boat.  The wife and I both like gunkholing and are hoping this will be more fun in the weekender than doing it in our power boat. 

I do have a few projects to do with the boat.  The boat looks like it was just built.  The hull and interior look perfect.  The steering needs to be reworked so I am going to have to make access for it.  A lot of galvanized hardware was used and inexpensive rope.  I plan on replacing all the lines, installing some better pulleys and if everything works out a new set of Dacron sails.

Dan
Welcome Dan! 
We always like to see pictures of boats!  Post a few, if you can.

Dave
Welcome!
Yes, photos would be nice, like your boat here ...
[Image: 3715172528_0d37eeb92d_z.jpg][Image: 3841659543_24cba2b406_z.jpg]

If you are serious about sailing through the grass flats, you might want to add a thin wedge to the rear of the keel to form a shallow skeg under the transom and then convert the rudder to a barn door style, or you will forever be fouling the rudder blade on the grass.

Cheers,
Tom