BYYB Forums

Full Version: How much plywood in a pallet?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm thinking about stocking up on 3/8" plywood for future boat projects (All but 2 of Gardner's boats can be built from 3/8 marine plywood).  Some of the online dealers like bateau.com mention that they discount plywood when it's purchased by the pallet/lot.  How many sheets of plywood are in a full pallet?  While we're at it, same question for other plywood thicknesses (1/4", 1/2", 3/4", etc.)

Thanks,
Will
Everyone is different, so call Joel at Bateau and ask, he's very approachable. A pallet of plywood, especially the thinner stuff is a lot of plywood.
Thanks!  I figured there was not a set answer, since I couldn't find anything about it online.  Smile
(01-16-2013, 03:09 PM)Will_Lavender link Wrote: [ -> ]... I figured there was not a set answer ...

There used to be a more or less set answer. Plywood is stacked together and strapped onto some sleeper boards to form a bundle with a skid that a forklift can get its tines under. The bundles are then loaded on to rail cars for shipment like so ...

[Image: photo-atw318335-2-2010-03-05-slr-s.JPG]

So the bundle height will be an even divisor of the 11' 6" load height of the centerbeam flatcar, minus a few inches. In practice, that leads to stacks like four 32" bundles.

But, fancy Marine-grade plywood comes mostly from oversees. So those bundles will be an even divisor of a shipping container minus some wiggle room for loading. The metric sized Okume I bought for my Weekender came from a 24 inch tall bundle.

If you know the bundle height, you can simply subtract and inch and a half for the sleeper boards and banding, and divide the remainder by the actual thickness of the plywood, which is usually 1/32nd less than the nominal thickness for the thicker sheets, ie 23/32 instead of 24/32 for a 3/4 inch sheet.

So there ought to be about 60 sheets of 3/8[sup]ths[/sup] inch plywood in a 24 inch bundle.  I hope you will be building a few boats.

But we don't know the bundle size for sure, so you better do as Paul says and just call.

If you do order a bundle, make sure you have it delivered all the way to your door step, or you might end up like this guy ...

[Image: 26218d1310219726-there-minivans-big-enou...lywood.jpg]

:Smile

A 24 inch bundle is 60 ft[sup]3[/sup] of plywood, which should weigh north of 1800 lbs.

Cheers,
Tom
Haha!  He didn't distribute his load evenly!  ;D
Even worse and to add to the confusion is the fact that most marine plywood is resold, which often means repalleted. There are also weight considerations. I usually get 54 sheets of 3/8" or 28 sheets of 3/4" or 80 sheets of 1/4" per pallet. Though does vary with supplier.