BYYB Forums

Full Version: New builder in Washington
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Good Morning Everyone!

My Name is Will, and I am getting ready to start building a Weekender with my soon to be stepson Alex.  I lucked into a full set of plans and build videos at half priced books in Everett Wa. for $10.00 .  I bought the plans in July Just before we had to move, and since then have moved into a house with a nice garage for the build.  Alex (10yrs old) is very excited to help with the build, but what he doesn't know is that the boat is for him, and after it's done and I let him name her, I will be giving it to him!  We will have years of sailing together before he will be able to sail it on his own, but I think it will be a wonderful project for us...if $$ works out I may even build 2 Wink  I will be posting Ideas and questions in a bit.

Regards,

Will
Hey Will,

I am in Vancouver, B.C. -- just a short trailer ride away. I wish you all the best in your build! Have you completed her yet? I am going to start a Vacationer just as soon as the plans arrive! Its great that you're getting your 10yr old son involved in sailing and boat building. I got my first sailboat when I was 12... and it required alot of fixing up. I was also in Sea Scouts and Sea Ventures... I had many great adventures, and look very fondly upon those days and times spent sailing in my dad's (family) sailboat - a 23ft O'Day.

You are doing your family a great service by introducing them to boat building and sailing, especially in an area blessed with such great areas to explore.. My daughter is 12, I am hoping she will help with the Vacationer.. she likes to paint and varnish.. but always seems to run away when sanding is involved....

Please keep in touch,
Brian
Hi Brian, did you ever get yor plans?  I brought my first keel board home the other day.  Need to rearrange garage this weekend and staert making saw dust this weekend.  Sorry I didnt see your post or I would have replied sooner !  I will post pictures of the start and build pics as I go Smile

Regards,

Will
Will, I definitely got my plans!! Smile

I also ordered  ton of used books from Powells with some neat ideas for embillishments, boom tents, etc..

Of all of them, I would suggest a copy of "Marlinspike Sailor" for helping you with any questions you have about rope work... I have been working on rope stroped blocks, and turning spindles for the wheel.. all the little finicky things for her.. that I know take alot of time, but can be done indoors... on dark rainy days... and give my boat the look and feel that I want out of her... That's the real beauty of a custom boat...

Also, spending alot of time studying the plans.. looking at the dimensions.. planning I find is a big part of building a boat.. knowing what you are trying to accomplish is half the battle I have learned.. study, measure, measure twice, and eventually you have to do.. there is no try... and then my own "customs" and figuring them into the design..

Having the right materials too helps, so I have been "gather what I need" from the materials list.. and I am just about to at least get started with the basics... Keel laying in a week or two.. Smile

Good luck on your build... love to keep in touch as we go through some of the same processes.

Brian
Hey Will,

Just to give you an update.. I got a little busy with my current two mini-brigs.. they needed a good bit of maintenance and overhauling for the summer.. so I didn't manage to lay keel yet.

I did get more accomplished though, started the mast, trying "birdsmouth" router bits for the first time. I am documenting it all, so I will let you know how it goes. I have been also gathering some tools.

I got word I had to move by the end of July, so I was reluctant to lay keel, and then have to worry about moving the boat etc.. While I do have a couple boat trailers.. they are in use at the moment, and I would like to have a dedicated trailer.

Let me know how things are progressing. I will keep plodding away on things as I can... just not making any "big" parts at the moment...

Brian