BYYB Forums

Full Version: weekender motor mount
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have a motor mount that raises and lowers and is compatible with the motor I have (2.5 hp nissan).  My question is where on the weekender is the best place to attach it
Steve
I attached mine to the left upper corner of the transom.
I have a motor well built into my Triad that requires removing the rudder assembly and clamping on the trolling motor.  I think Paul has designed something that incorporates the power head and blade of a motor with the rudder blade but I don't recall the post.  When I think of the hoops and holes I had to jump threw and drill threw the hull to mount the rudder assembly I wish I had a design that would clamp on and off like a trolling motor.  None of that addresses your concern but it may prompt Paul to post his design.

The Weekender is getting on the large and heavy side to row and a permenant motor attached would add a certain level of convenience.  I think every picture I have seen they were on the port/left side of the transom.  I don't think it matters and suspect it is because most people are right handed, sit on the port/left side of the boat and use their right hand to run the boat motor.  My vote is if you are right handed mount it on the port/left and if left handed mount it on the starboard/right.
I have a short shaft motor and was wondering about the hieght of the motor mount.  I don't want to be drilling unnessesscary holes in the transom.
My motor is mounted on the upper port side of the transom.  I have a long shaft, though.

Dave
Mount engine so the anti-ventilation plate is even with the bottom planks. With the motor in the down position and the crew aboard, it'll have enough bury to not "uncover" very often, unless it's especially rough out. An adjustable mount is a good idea if you are out in choppy conditions a lot.
If you have an ajustable heigh mount, attach it where the structure is solid, you avoid vibrations and fails (by the way there is a further trim done by changing the plate bolting to the mount, so you can fix the mount wherever you can and then bold the plate at the righ position or even cut a new plate with a more suitable shape).
The best position is in the middle of the transom, but there is the rudder, hence find a position aside, far enough to avoid interference or limitations of the rudder stroke , but not too much far from center to contain the propeller vertical excursion due to the side inclination of the hull.
Gianluigi
Thanks for the replies.  This may be more simple than I thought.