BYYB Forums

Full Version: Vacationer Progress and a Few Questions
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I just finished installing the rafters and support for the cabin roof.  Actual roof installation is next.  I'm also working on the cockpit.  I had been planning under seat storage with access from the top, as in Phil Gowan's Weekender.  I'm having second thoughts.  I think I'd rather eliminate the storage altogether, filling the under seat space with flotation, and make the cockkpit a water tight bathtub.  I won't have to worry about keeping water out of the storage space, drains etc.  There should be plenty of storage inside the cabin and the lazarette.  What can I do to accommodate the gas tank for my small outboard?  In the lazarette?  I'm planning an over-the-transom tiller, so I can't have the lazarette hatch too ajar or it will get hung up on the tiller.  Any ideas?

Dave

Dave,

After reading posts that the Vacationer needs weight forward, I put the battery and fuel tank up in the bow. I attachet fuel line along the bottom side of the deck where it could be hidden with a piece of removable trim inside the cabin just in case i need to fish a replacement through later. I run my fuel line out the lazzarette, but you could use a through-hull fitting by the engine mount. I plan on doing that with mine, just have too many other projects going to get it done.

John
i can't answer the gas question, we are using an electric trolling motor and are thrilled with how well it pushes our superskipjack.
what i can say is based on these photos, this boat must be fake! there is no evidence of poorly fitted panels, massive epoxy repairs, mis-alined parts etc. Smile  i do like the solid closed in areas for floatation, we did that behind the seats of our skipjack which allowed me to have the area under the foredeck for storage. i packed 6 full length pool noodles on each side, since one will hold me up in the water, i'm hoping 12 is enough to keep my boat afloat not planning to find out though

amazing looking work, she will be a beautiful boat, now that mine is tarped for the winter, please keep the pics coming, it's a long time till spring!!
Good to see your fine work Dave; well done! I'm also considering leaving my seats without hatches of any kind...keep coming back to the question of where will all those extra bits and pieces would go without some sort of cockpit storage space?

Summer is well and truly on it's way now (looking like being a bad bushfire season!!) and have begun to get back into the f'glass coating of the outside of the hull...getting there!  Hope to get it finished soonish...next month? Also have made up my mast; nice (heavy!!) piece of Oregon. Have also purchased my new 4HP 'PARSUN' 4 stroke outboard and hope it will reward me for the trust I will be placing in her!

When are you going to get your sides on?

Cheers from down here,

Gerrard
Dave,

I took a bit of a different approach on the below seat storage too. I glued some 2" foam to the bottom side of the seat panel before screwing it down, and cut access holes in the cabin bulkhead. I don't have to worry about water getting in from outside, but I can still access the space from inside the cabin. Makes a good spot for fishing gear and paddles etc that are long and won't be a bugger to fish out if they get pushed too far back.

John
Beautiful work, love the decking especially!  Great job!
I built my Vac seats to spec and wished I had not,  They are a water trap and in Fla the condensation was terrific.  Next Vac I build will have open faces and netting to control the stray gear.  A 6 gal gaqs tank will just fit under the seats with a bit of modification.