BYYB Forums

Full Version: Capsized Weekender
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I capsized my Weekender in Tomales Bay. What follows is a brief description of the accident, what caused it, the steps we took to save ourselves and the boat and how the accident could have been avoided. I then offer some tips on how to rescue a capsized Weekender.

In brief, this is what happened. I had to pee. The wind had been gusty earlier in the day but was steady at fifteen so I felt secure in sliding back the cabin hatch cover and standing in the cabin. I was in charge of the main sheet which I held in one hand. A rogue gust hit. Surprised by the gust, the helmsman steereddown wind. The boat pitched and I fell against the side of the cabin hatch. I released the sheet but it was too late.

She went over so hard and fast that we were literally thrown into the bay, surfacing just in time to hear the loud WHOMP of the hull hitting the water upside down. We swam to the stern and hoisted ourselves up onto it, a difficult task due to the lack of any sort of hand hold. The hull was high in the water due  to the water-tight trunks I had built into it, and it was slippery.

I had been told that  righting a capsized Weekender would envolve releasing the forestay so the weight of the sail and mast could be folded against the hull prior to pulling her upright. In our case, this was not necessary. We simply stood on the rubrail and pulled on the keel and up she came. However, I must offer the caveat that we both weigh two hundred pounds.

Little did we know that our problems had just begun. The boat had five hundred gallons of water in it and roled badly with the wind and waves.It was then that I realized I had left the bailing bucket at home. We were splashing the water out with a cushion when I remembered a cooking pot in a cockpit trunk, which was submerged. Not until I opened the hatch did I remember that the trunk was a part of the water-tight flotation I had built into the boat. Water rushed into the trunk causing the boat to roll over; the two of us, leaping free, found ourselves once again floating next to the overturned boat. We righted the boat again only to find it hopelessly swamped and vulnerable to the waves. It rolled three more times before we realized the futility of trying to right it. Perched on the overturned hull, we spotted the Hog Island oyster boat. We righted the boat so as to not drag the mast on the bottom as the oyster boat hauled us to shallow water. With a borrowed bucket, we bailed it out, repaied the rigging and sailed back.

Much was learned. The boat should never have capsized if we had been properly attentive. The accident was the result of a "perfect storm" of bad moves a natures wiles. First, the accident would never have happened if I had remained seated on the windward (high) side of the boat ready to release the mainsheet. Second, the helmsman was not an exprienced skiff sailor. I think a person experienced in large craft sailing, with hundres of pounds of ballast working for him, can be taken by surprise by the sudden instability of a "pocket yaght" like the Weekender. I think captains should consider the character of their craft and any anomalies it may have (like a wheel that faces the stern) before they turn over the helm to a newcomer, especially in windy conditions. Third, never trust a gusty day. When it was gusty earlier, we were alert on the main sheet and did fine; when the wind steadied, however, I became lax. I found out the hard way that the afternoon had a couple of gusts left in it. In the future, on gusty days, I think I will reef the main not in regard to the prevailing wind speed, but to the speed of the gusts.

Here are some thoughts on self-rescue; they involve preplanning. 1) Build as much floatation into your boat as possible. 2) Build a hand-hold on the bottom at the stern. An overturned boat is slippery. 3) NEVER go out without a bailing bucket. A two gallon bucket is best. A five too heavy when balance is everything. Tie the bucket to the boat and outfit it with floatation. A bilge pump is also handy. 4) Wear your life jacket. 5) Plan for the worst. Your moves should be prescripted and gone over regularly. (Even then you will make bad moves like opening a water-tight compartment.)

Based on our experience, here are some thoughts on righting a Weekender. 1) Always pull it to windward. If you are on the lee side, the wind, combined with your body weight could cause it to roll over on top of you. 2) bring the boat up slowly and with care. It worked for us to fall backwards into the water as it rolled toward us. We finished pulling it upright from there without our weight on the gunnel. 3) Have one person climb aboard while the other balances the boat from the other side. Balance is everything. 4) If there are two of you, one should stay in the water at the stern to balance the boat while the other is bailing. A swamped boat is extremely unstable. You will likely only get one shot at bailing. If she rolls twice, the increase in trouble is exponential. Again, balance is everything. 5) Expect that everything not tied to the boat will have been flushed from it. 6) Lower the sails as soon as possible.
Boy, I hear you about that wheel.  I have a friend who won't touch it even tough he is an experienced sailor. 

I wasn't clear on one part though.  When she went over did she lay on her side at all, or did she go turtle right away?  If she laid on her side was the cockpit flooded or did she lay high enough to avoid this?  I haven't done a capsize test on my weekender yet and I am interested in how high she should float on her side. 

Were you able to heave to when you needed to take a break, or was it too rough to try?  I have been monkeying around  with heaving to and last time I did it I found that I was able to wander around the cockpit and cabin with no trouble. 

Interesting story though, I think I will try real hard to avoid that. 

Thanks for sharing,

Al
(10-10-2012, 12:43 PM)Don OBrien link Wrote:In brief, this is what happened. I had to pee. The wind had been gusty earlier in the day but was steady at fifteen so I felt secure in sliding back the cabin hatch cover and standing in the cabin. I was in charge of the main sheet which I held in one hand. A rogue gust hit. Surprised by the gust, the helmsman steereddown wind. The boat pitched and I fell against the side of the cabin hatch. I released the sheet but it was too late.

Wow, there's an old sailing adage ... "One hand for yourself, one hand for the ship", but I think this was talking things to far.

Cheers,
Tom
So, I understand airtight lockers are good. Elsewhere I have read good advice of making sure lockers have good ventilation, or everything rots or molds... Any way to find a balance, or compromise?
Don is a friend of mine and saw "Rosebud" in build process, fell in love with the design and built his own. We sail a lot of times together to the Delta and Tomales Bay. We have had the Stevenson's on board at Tomales Bay. This day he speaks of I was in my studio. The first thing I would have done with a novice steering would be to have him nose the bow to wind! Now all the power is gone including the gust.
My son and I were sailing to Stockton several years ago and he is not a novice but, still locked the main down and we suffered a knockdown, Rosebud sailed on her side as we rounded up and popped up as we came to the wind. A good lesson for him to be ready for those times. I have sailed Rosebud many times over the Sea of Cortez, Tomales Bay and San Francisco Bay in 25-30kts and never had a problem. I'm not suggesting someone jump out and do that without many years of sailing under their belt.
As for taking a pee... I have a tupperware type kool-aid pitcher with a handle on it, shaped square for bailing and when duty calls you simply put it over your business, use it and overboard it goes without ever getting up. My lazerettes are tight but not waterproof. The backrests are waterproof and the stern pocket is also. I find the Weekender to be much stronger than it looks and have enjoyed 8 yrs of sailing. Sold all my big boats out of boredom and Rosebud is my dirtbike in the water. Thanks for listening, Warren
(10-11-2012, 02:16 AM)tombayus link Wrote:[quote author=Don OBrien link=topic=3254.msg25439#msg25439 date=1349901827]
In brief, this is what happened. I had to pee. The wind had been gusty earlier in the day but was steady at fifteen so I felt secure in sliding back the cabin hatch cover and standing in the cabin. I was in charge of the main sheet which I held in one hand. A rogue gust hit. Surprised by the gust, the helmsman steereddown wind. The boat pitched and I fell against the side of the cabin hatch. I released the sheet but it was too late.

Wow, there's an old sailing adage ... "One hand for yourself, one hand for the ship", but I think this was talking things to far.

Cheers,
Tom
[/quote]

One wrong move with that sheet and your boat would be [ahem] "junk" rigged. 
Heikki,

The floatation that I set up in my weekender amounts to four water tight hatch covers.  I made two bolt down hatches for the forward bulkhead that I only use when I go sailing, coupled with a tight gasket on the forward hatch so that no water will come into the forward compartment from the outside.  When the bulkhead covers are on even if the cabin floods, the forward compartment will stay dry for a while.  I also use the same idea for the seat backs.  I cut small holes in the main bulkhead that give me access to the area behind the seat backs. I then made covers for those holes the same way that I did for the forward bulkhead.  I only use these covers when I go sailing.  Otherwise they are open to allow air to circulate.  I am doing away with my wheel, and in the process I will also make the lazerette water tight for extra floatation in the stern. 

I have yet to learn of a weekender that flooded and was self rescued without grounding to bail.  That is my greatest concern about sailing where I like to go.  One of these days, I may have to try it just to set my mind at rest or at least get a better idea on how to get myself out of trouble.

Al
I had the same flotation "water tight" compartments: one forward of the forward bulkhead, two in the back rests and two in the seat compartments. They helped, and, without my stupid moves of not having bailing bucket and opening one of the seat trunks, I might have been fine. However, Those water tight compartments filled with water in time. My advice regarding the forward bulkhead is to seal those doors shot with 3M 5200. I have never used them and the added advantage of floatation makes sealing them worthwhile. I will keep the forward hatch but I plan to revisit its seal capacity. I am also plannining net bags of chunk flotation to stow at strategic locations.
Sealed compartments work well, but install a deck plate in them, so you can ventilate these spaces while the boat is stored. This way you have floatation, storage through the deck plate and the ability to vent the space so rot, mold, etc. don't form.

Most capsizes are a combination of things, all working in concert to screw up an otherwise fine day. Heading up in a gust is only helpful if the skipper has good touch, as you can get into just as much trouble if you over steer, just on the opposite tack. Sailing in gusty conditions, you are often wise to go with a partly stalled trim. It's keeps the sails drawing and not getting beat up, but a gust isn't as powerful across the partly stalled sail. Lastly, learn when to reef. If you have any questions about reefing, you're probably waited to long already. If in doubt, bare away and round up to a close hauled course. This will show the real wind strength. If your rail is shipping water or close to it, you need a reef. It may look cool with the rail diving under, but you'll actually go faster if the boat is more upright.
Don!!!  Thanks for sharing this story...It will help others...your thoughts and reflection are so important to share...

We met when I joined you guys for the day on the Delta last year (or a couple years now) and in the short time I met you it was clear that you are a thorough, consciencious person...

Glad that everything turned out well...and you are okay.

matt