BYYB Forums

Full Version: Weekender Cabin
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
So, I am still very much in my planning stages of my boat, and I'm wanting to know if anyone out there has any.good pictures of what they did with their cabin space.  Currently my ideas for maximizing space put still having creature comforts include a built in pantry in the front bulkhead on the starboard side, a slide out sink/ stove tray from the rear bulkhead on the starboard side, and.some type of bench for sitting/ sleeping on the port side.  I'm having a hard time visualizing this as I havent seen very many interior cabin photos to give a good idea of space.  If anyone has a few pics, I'd very much appreciate a look at them
Thank you from the Land of Oz.
I have a Weekender built exactly to plans and I find it really tight. I can barely turn around in it and I can't sit up as there is no headroom. I am 5'10 average build and in my opinion it is a cabin for one, roughing it. I don't see how any fixtures could be put in it and still have room for a person. That is why I'm now building a Vacationer.
I would be interested to see what others have done and hear their opinions as well.
Good luck sith your build. It's a fun boat to sail and trailor and it sets up fast at the launching site.
Hi Josh,

Unless you are a small woodland creature like a gnome or an elf, you will not be able to put much in there. I suppose the slide-out stove tray might work if you make it retract under the cockpit seat when not in use. The cabin is so small you can sit cross-legged in there with your head touching the roof, but that's about it. It's OK for sleeping, but I don't know about your pantry idea. There just isn't any room. A bench for sitting and sleeping would eliminate any headroom you have.

I have a queen-sized foam mattress down there that I shaped into a boat shape at the bow end so it would fit. It takes up the whole space.

Anyway, if you watch my video a couple of threads down called "another silly video" or something, I included some interior pictures.

The Weekender's cabin is a bit of a misnomer, more of a cuddy I think. You'd be best advised to make a cardboard mockup of the space; forward bulkhead, hull sides, foredeck and cabin top. You'll quickly realize this isn't a Catalina 22, but a small boat with a dry space to escape passing thunderstorms.
I almost built a Weekender.  If I had I would have built it without the cabin/cuddy.  It wouldn't look like a miniture Friendship type but the pictures I have seen of cabinless weekenders looked pretty nice.  I am just to big to fit in that small a space.  Paul's suggestion is a good one.  make a floor plan out of cardboard of the cockpit and get a large box that can be cut to the size of a cabin for any boat you plan on building.  Good winter fun and will let you know the spacial limitations of the craft you are considering.  One of the reasons I chose to build the one I did was I wanted a large enough cockpit for 3 people.  The cockpit on the triad is about the size of a 4x8 sheet of plywood which is snug for 3 but works.
I definitely like the cardboard idea, I am going to attempt to make a section to show cabin space, and box in my ideas, I guess since there is little head room, the bench idea is out, so, no bench. I may consider building a Vacationer, if there is simply not enough room(i.e., can't incorporate my design ideas.)  And I may build one anyway if the bug persists after I build the weekender.  Also, my pantry idea is that I would build a casing with shelves on the bow side of the forward bulkhead utilizing the cut out space. The cut out space would then recieve a door.  On the opposite side meaning the bulkhead on the aft side, there would also be a door leading to the space under the cockpit seats. I figure that this configuration would maximize my space, while providing amenities. Either way, its clear to me that I definitely need to do a mock up configuration, then take lots of photos and post them here.  My design ideas come from a "Tear Drop Camper Trailer" where the minimalist design with mini deluxe amenities is key.
The weekender cabin is small,  but not to the point of being unusable as a cabin.  I added some amenities to my cabin such as a cupboard next to the companionway for the things that I may need while underway, and a portable galley  box.  The cupboard is mounted to the inside of the aft bulkhead to clear the companionway and is used as a place to keep my VHF, first aid kit, umbrella, coffee cup, bug dope, snacks, etc.  Because it slopes downward, I set it up with  bungi mounted slats across the front so that things won't fall out.  It doesn't take up any usable space and I think it looks quite nice.  The galley box fits  between the companionway box and the side of the hull under the cupboard.  I designed it to be used in the cockpit because I just  couldn't see having an open flame inside the cabin.  The top is set up to act as a work space with counter top laminate  on it and is  boxed in so that things won't fall off onto the cockpit sole.  My stove fits on top of the box itself and there is enough space for all of my kitchen equipment. 

On the cruise I took last month, I tested all of this stuff and found that it works pretty well.  I am going to re-do the galley box because I made it too heavy so that it is more of a struggle to lift out of the cabin than it is worth.  However the cupboard is well worth doing in my estimation.  Having the things that you might need close at hand and not rolling around in the cabin or cockpit makes all the difference.  For example, my hand held VHF came with a mounting bracket which I attached so that the radio is actually in the companionway but not in the way.  I can hear it very well and if I need to use it, it is as handy as if it were in my pocket. 

As far as sleeping goes, you are going to need all the space you can get if you are six feet tall like me.  If I were to do it again, I would move the main bulkhead aft maybe six to ten inches because I don't need all that cockpit space.  As it is, I am thinking about a bridge deck to keep a cooler under.  Your comparison to tear drop trailers is very apt.  I've thought about building one of those too just for the challenge of making it comfortable and handy.  It seems like that woud be fun.

Al Stead
Weekender Jumping Duck
OurDotCalm is 11 years old and in all that time, we have never spent a night inside the cabin.  It is just too small.  I'm a pretty big guy - 6' 0" and Mary is just 5' 1" and no amount of wiggling could get us both inside the cabin stretched out to sleep.

The cabin is a great place to store gear, put a young child down for a nap and to hide from the weather but is just isn't big enough for a couple of adults to sleep.  Now, if you are young, flexible and small, you might just manage to make that work.

But a weekender does really turn heads and start a lot of conversations at the launch ramp and afloat.

Of all out boats, we have the most room in the Mac19, Silver Lining, but she is the least fun to sail and still not all that big inside. 

I am 26, and sleep curled up, a trick that helped immensely when sleeping in a solitary positions inside a HMMVW. After my time in the Army, I look at most spaces as big for sleeping lol.  However, I am 5'10", and my wife is 5'4".  Im going to watch the video in the above mentioned post to get a better perspective.  And I believe that perhaps the open fire wouldnt be the best idea in a small enclosed space. So ill be toying around with configuring a convenient way to have it slide out into the cockpit as well as the sink. Im also trying to figure a good way to mount a radio, and am thinking the best space would be up at the top of the cabin in the curve where there are no plans for a porthole.  Hopefully, all this planning ahead will pay out in a good useable space that allows for more than just storage!!
Greetings Josh,

Here are various photos of Weekender cabins ...

The stock weekender at http://www.stevproj.com/IntroWkndrPg1.html ...
[Image: WeekSlide4sm.jpg]

The reinforcing side shelf mounted at right angles to the hull side,
so that when the hull heels, the shelf will be level, and nothing falls  ...
[Image: normal_DSCF3877.JPG]

From the outside ...
[Image: Jonesboat2.jpg]

Here we have Adla's dog Petra standing in Morgaine's cabin ... 
http://adlacearl.com
[Image: 020_G.jpg]

Petra is a big dog ...
[Image: P8190042.JPG]

Weekender cabin stuffed with camping gear ...
[Image: bp2.jpg] camping

Aloha's cabin ...
[Image: boat0270.jpg]

Joel Sacho's Island Girl  http://picasaweb.google.com/jsacho/SVIslandGirl#
Under construction  ...
[Image: Jam018.jpg]

Cool stereo speakers ...
[Image: boat%2520029.jpg]

And she's not that tall ...
[Image: launch%2520013.jpg]

This photo of Peter working on a Weekender should help
you visualize just how small the 32" high cabin really is ...
[Image: ProjCam.JPEG]

Cheers,
Tom
Pages: 1 2 3 4