BYYB Forums

Full Version: Another silly sailing video
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Oh, hey, guys. I had a pretty good day sailing a couple of days ago; also one of my friends came out in his motorboat and got some decent sailing shots, so I made a youtube video. I seem to be getting worse, not better, at making videos, but it's fun. This time there is more on-board video.

It's pretty windy, but it seems like when it's REALLY windy and the boat is really grooving along I'm too busy to take pictures. The sharp-eyed among you will spot some continuity errors, as the sail is reefed in some shots and not in others. My friend Josh, who is also my co-pilot at work, makes a second appearance as crew.

The video may be of interest to those of you who haven't finished your boats yet and wonder how well they sail, or those who wonder what September is like north of the 63rd parallel. (thank you, Global Warming! :o)

The boat actually doesn't do too badly: on a different day in less wind a portable GPS showed her sustaining 6 knots on a beam reach, her best point of sail. In the big waves she will do 3 or 4 knots close-hauled, but the waves slow her down and she does slap a bit. I hope you enjoy the video:

http://youtu.be/nGqvbW1IWx0

OK, so I can't "embed" the video, but there is the link anyway.
great video, i know what you mean about "slapping " the water, my superskipjack is like that too, part of the joy of a flat bottomSmile i'm still kinda surprised at how fast these boats are in waves like that, yours looks like it handles well.
i noticed that you've used some type of ring to attach the main to the mast, what is that?
Great video, Keith! You Northerners surely do have good sailing fun up thataway! And the lake is really a beautiful spot.

You've inspired me...I hope to get back out on the water next week!

Thanks!

Mike
Yeah, get out there on the water, Mike! Anytime you're not sailing, is time that you probably would have been happier sailing.

Bob, those are embroidery hoops. I wrapped them in light cord and dipped them in glue. They were meant to be temporary but they've worked fine for five years now, replacing the first set of embroidery hoops that also lasted for five years. One day I will make proper hoops, but I'm too lazy.
Beautiful weekender. She really gets moving under steady winds. And you are right, thats a very small cabin space. Enough for me to sleep in, but not as much space as my mind tried to configure it.  I hope my weekender turns out half as nice as yours Wink
That movie made me ache to go sailing....  Good work, she's  a fine boat!
Nicely put together video boys; must get my Vacationer finished!
Nice to see you've had another fun year aboard Keith.  Video is very nice to watch, reminds me of our good sailing together on that patch of water.  Sans Souci is now out of the water for the season.  We didn't make any videos but did take lots of photos on our adventures in Mahone Bay with our longest sail around 30 kilometres.  You can catch up on our blog in the signature below.  Have a good and safe winter.