BYYB Forums

Full Version: Super Skipjack launch / shakedown
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2

Took the Super Skipjack out on it's shakedown voyage. 
Went out after work with my son and brother in-law that has done some sailing.
The winds were really sheltered at the boat ramp which was nice.  We motored out
a bit and had winds ranging from 4 to 12knots.  We sailed with just the main up
for most of the time but put up the jib the last couple of tacks.  The main sail filled well
for a polytarp.  I thought the boat handled well but I don't have anything to compare it to.
Seemed like I didn't have to fight the tiller quite as much with the jib up.  In all a very nice evening and we
all had fun but it started to get dark all to soon.  A couple of the lines seem to short
but I'm not going to change anything until I've sailed a few more times.  The only problem
we really encountered was with the bunkers on the trailer.  On side loosened on some washboard
gravel.  I had a wrench but needed two to get it tight.  So we used a tie down to hold the
bunker in place and limped slowly home.

Tried my hand at the crisscross lashing that Paul recommended.  (Dog pic)  Thanks Paul.
She looks great, very squared away. I'm about to launch my open weekender and if it goes half as well as yours I'll be thrilled.
Did you use paracord to attach the mainsail to the hoops? I used nylon string and I can't keep it tight. If the paracord worked for you I will definitely use your method.
Congratulations on your successful launch.
Your dog is the coolest!
Thanks Van,

I just used what's called camp cord..  The directions recommended putting a dab of glue to hold the knot which I did.
looks great, welcome to the superskipjack fleet! your comment about the lines is correct, i've found the peak halyard to be way to short, even lost it up the mast once and plan to lengthen it this off season, do that as soon as you can!
i didn't use the club foot and i'm very happy with the way the forsail preforms. your boat looks great for finishing, sure doesnt look like it'll need much "tweaking".  your dog looks like he's having a great time, enjoy the boat, i'm hoping to get another month in this year before we have to tarp up for the winter, the nights are starting to get real dark, real early Smile
oh i  forgot, i also added a topping lift, which is a great addition, it holds the boom when the main is down, and just goes slack when its up, i never have to touch it
Congratulations, and welcome, Mark! I love the colors; very jaunty and cheerful!

I'll have to measure the running rigging on mine. I suspect Peter may have been a little short on a few of those. I will be adding some stuff to the Skipjack plans, reflecting the changes I made in my own go-through of that design. I really want to change the tiller length to what I made: A much longer axe-handle tiller. I'll add some details of the running rigging set-ups I use. One thing I have found, is that people do tend to adjust the arrangements a little to suit their own tastes.
I like your criss-cross lashing of the mainsail. Mine is a bit tight right now and I'm getting a little odd shape because of that. I may try re-lashing with the main hoisted, to get a better shape.

Hmmmm; a topping lift might be nice. I use the boom crutch for trailering, but dropping the main always ends up with it flopping in my way. I may have to try that. I was hoping to get out camping in my Skipjack this Summer, but time seems to have gotten away from me these past few months...I did find a nice backpack hammock which fits easily in the cockpit (testing in the driveway shows good lounging potential!)

Have fun with your Skipjacks, and I look forward to seeing more pics (mine as well!)

Mike Stevenson
Here are some line lengths I just measured:

New Skipjack Line Lengths:

Main Sheet: 35’ 3/8” soft braid (I'm using Salsa braid, just 'cause I like the look!)
Jib Sheet: 25-30’ 1/4” Sta-Set

Peak Halyard: 55’ 1/4” Sta-Set
Throat Halyard: 20’ 1/4” Sta-Set
Jib Halyard: 20’ 1/4” Sta-Set
Flag Halyard: 32’ 3/16” 3-strand

Jib Downhaul: 20-22’ 1/8” Spyderline

Boom Lashing: 22’ 3/16” 3-strand
Gaff Lashing: 16’ 3/16” 3-strand

After Reefing Line: 8’ 1/4” Sta-Set
(I tie a bowline in the leech cringle, then lead the line through the eye at the boom end, then forward to lash the leech cringle to the boom. I use the same outhaul jam cleat I use for full-sail to tension the reefed sail.)

Rudder Downhaul: 6’ 1/4” Sta-Set
Thanks, Mike
Mean a lot to have you on this site.

I've only been out a couple of times but one thing that seem's missing is a place to cleat off the mainsail.  Does anyone have any recommendations what to use / where to put it?

-Mark
You WILL NOT want to cleat the Mainsail!

I was just out yesterday, and if a puff hits, with only one person on board, you are NOT going to want to be sitting on the sheet, or have it cleated! The Jib Sheets have camcleats, but be ready to ease them also.

If it's blowing pretty hard (which it was once I was past the point which was shading the wind), the Jib is powerful enough to need easing also. Slack the main in a puff, and then if it seems that's not enough, slack the jib.

I just posted some pics of the rigging set-up I took today.

http://www.stevproj.com/SSkipRigging.html

Thanks,

Mike

(I'll try to get the vid I took edited and up tomorrow.)
I really dig the super skipjack. Is it the same size hull as the weekender? It looks like it is, but it's hard to tell. For day-sailing the Super Skipjack looks like it would be easier to sail, being able to reach the bottom of the mast from the cockpit. I still like my weekender cabin for hiding in though.
Pages: 1 2