BYYB Forums

Full Version: Any Australian based weekender owners.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
G'day all from around the world hope your all well and enjoying the olympics.

I just wondered if there is anyone from Australia  owns a weekender? And at a stretch Melbourne?

I have just bought one somi cheated a little or a lot it was one that i missed out on 4 years ago when i saw it advertised on a website and was in QLD and sold to sydney where it under went extensive restoration before being saled for the past couple of years. It now come full circle and i finally own it. I intend to give it a quick birthday on some of the bright work and varnish bits and have her 100 percent ready by our summer.

Size wise its perfect for what i want easy to rig easy to launch and character character character. I anguished for a week after reading lots of mixed reviews on them and their safety etc. But making an informed decision is what owning a boat is all about and there is never such a thing as the perfect boat.

My decison was based on looks, appeal, and mostly ease of launching, rigging and the ability to sneak into shallow waters or right up to the sand.

I have a place in Ocean grove and it has a nice little stretch of river before going out into one of the most treacherous seas ever Bass Straight and the heads. But going in the opposite direction is the river and a pretty good sized lake.

I plan to stick in those areas only. After owning a bigger more classic old timber trailer sailer it was more the trailer it saw than sailer as it was hard to launch and retrieve and also to get the mast up was nothing short of nerve racking and a two to 3 person job. After owning a range of yachts and power boats i decided to shrink the size to something managable for one or 2. I do intend to fill some parts with buoyancy foam under seats and front of it for safety more than anything.

So far i cant see any down sides on it. Damn easy to push around on the trailer. Easy to work on in terms of size to paint varnish and in general just maintain.

So far this ticks all the right boxes for my personal needs even to the point of being able to throw a line over board for some whiting every now and then.

Im just wondering if using sn electric outboard would a 55lb thrust do the job or not???

Also if using petrol what size shouldni get 3hp short or long shaft motor???

Many thanks Phil