BYYB Forums

Full Version: launch day (sorta!!)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
well after 2 days of working  the boat in the driveway, we wre finally ready to splash it and see what happens. i was sure i'd be sailing as of noon saturday, but it took all weekend until 2pm saturday to get the show on the road. amazing how much screwing around you have to do!

anyhow, we got it to the lake got the mast and rigging up, then took it down to replace a line for the peak halyard that fell out of the pulley Smile but after an hour of hard work in 31 degree heat, we were finally ready. as we put the boat in the water, i had 2 concerns : 1 does it leak, 2 wow those clouds are black!

as we launched off the trailer, the wave picked up alot, and my little skipjack was rising and falling 2-3 feet but NOT LEAKING , BONE DRY!!  i looked across the lake and it was really rough, black clouds rolling in. so since we were both tired, we decided we'd had a good weekend getting it done, and decided to pull the boat, get it tarped up (it will stay at the sailing club, rigged and ready to go) and went into the clubhouse for a beer. of course, as soon as we were ready to leave, the weather relaxed, the waves were gone but by then it was time to head home. its so exciting that everything seems to work, but i know there are a few kinks i;ll be working on over the summer, lots more pics to come, but here are a few, including my wife liz and our sailing hound named "grits"

gonna be a fun summer now that i have a great little boat, thanks for all the help, encouragement and advice !

bob
the top left corner shows the beginning of the black clouds of doom!
Congratulations!  Nice looking boat to.  What flooring are you using?  The yellow looking stuff that was just visible in one of the photos?
a few more shots of the day,

terry,
the flooring is called drydeck a buddy of mine builds oil rigs and they use it as anti slip, hi vis flooring he gave me a roll of it which i decided to try. so far i like it, gives a great no slip floor, and its easy to lift up if anything gets wet/dirty. we'll see how well it works out over time.

one other good thing is that you don't have to have a perfectly finished surface underneath it! Smile
Nice work, lets see her sailing next. If you don't want rot, pick up that plastic mat when you park the boat for extended periods.
Nice job ! Better luck on the next launch...

Bob.
thanks guys i'm sure the sail will happen by the weekend, its just such a relief to see that shes dry, i've already started the list of minor "i should fix that" stuff i've found, but that can wait till after we've done a bunch of sailing
Congratulations! It's nice to see a SSkipjack reaching the water! I look froward to sailing shots soon.

Have fun!
Mike
Beautiful!  Congrats again!