BYYB Forums

Full Version: rudder / barrel bolt question
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
looks like launch day will be sunday, but i decided today, im not happy with the barrel bolt setup for mounting the rudder. it seems like it would tear right off with any torque at all. i'm considering other solutions but thought i'd see what everyone else has done, i'm sure someone has solved this one ..........

loads of pics to come, the boat made its move from the garage onto the trailer tonight Smile
Bob,

I bought those as well but just couldn't put them on.  One thing I don't want to be without is steering.  I went with the Pintles and Gudgeons RL360's (Race-lite) I got from Duckworks.  They were designed for 1"3/8 rudder but they can be widened just enough to fit.  They have a set of Race-Lites designed specifically for the weekender there as well for about $40 more where the gudgeon mounts vertically instead of horizontal.    Being cheap cost me a couple extra holes in the boat which I know you won't like.  I can try to get you a pic if you like.

-Mark
The RaceLite stuff is worth the extra bucks. It's a family run outfit, in the sweet 'ol USA and they do a great job with their parts. A horizontal gudgeon can be bent around the aft end of the keel for the lower one, which works fine and may save a few bucks too.
I use RaceLite hardware for my Weekender rudder.  Easy, quick, reliable, sturdy and worth every penny.

Dave
I used the RaceLite stuff on my Triad.  The plans called for those small barrel locks but I had the same concerns you did.  The RaceLite worked fine.
Well, I'm quite happy with my barrel bolts (don't forget: When Peter started doing these projects forty years ago, there weren't many ways for people in the middle of the country to find useable components, or inexpensive ones.)

I have ZERO worry about the connection to the rudder box, as I used 1 1/2" x 12 sheetmetal screws well set. As for the keel connection, I didn't trust what my father had set, so I bent a strap and bolted through the keel to resist pulling free even if hitting submerged stuff. I'll take a shot and post it.

I changed a fair number of things on my Skipjack, actually...

Mike
Here are a couple of detail shots of how I set up my Skipjack:
One can see the barrel-bolt reinforcement, and the axe-handle tiller.
Here are a few rig details:

I made stainless straps instead of aluminum, then polished everything. This takes a LOT of time and sore fingers, but I like the shiny stainless look.

The gooseneck I made up slightly differently as well, as I am using a fir full-round piece for the boom.

Mike
Thanks for the pictures Mike.  Very inspiring and helpful to for the rigging setup too.    I always loved the color scheme of your Skipjack.  My colors are a compromise with my son.

Here's a picture of my rudder setup.  I thought about bending to wrap around like Paul suggested but I don't have a vise and the hole alignment didn't seem good for te 2x4 thickness.
The farther apart the gudgeons can be, the better they can handle torque and strain. Mark yours are bronze which is much easier to bend than stainless. You don't need a vice, though it's helpful.  Pounding them over wooden block will do. To align up the holes you can just insert a drill and "egg" them out a bit.