BYYB Forums

Full Version: foam flotation
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
so when i built my superskipjack, i added foam behind the seats all the way along, but im wondering if i should add something in the bow.
looking at options, i can pack the space with pieces, but im just wondering what other options might work. has anyone used spray foam? is that stuff water tight? will it float?

GLAD to see the board back up, i'm a week or so away from splashing my boat, loads of pics to come!
THe problem with spray foam, this is just what I've heard, mind, I've never tried it, is that it can trap moisture against the wood and you can't get the foam out of there to let it dry out.

Maybe some reasonably sized foam pieces packed inside plastic bags would be appropriate, then you could haul them out of there to let air flow around and keep her dry every now and then.
good point, i was thinking mesh bags to let air flow around the foam.
I'm almost finished building an open weekender. I stuffed "pool noodles" behind the seat backs and sealed off both ends. It took 20 of them to fill it up.
I will second the pool noodle idea.  They are cheap, sometimes $1 each, easily cut, shaped, bent, etc for fit.  They are easy to remove which I find most beneficial to get air to places that get bits of moisture.  I can tell you the spray stuff is no good.  I used it on a hot tube repair only to find the next season the wood under and around it was rotted from moisture.  Whatever you go with I would suggest you try and keep it removable so in the off season there is no long term moisture exposure.
Excellent points Terry, you've come a long way Grasshopper . . .
I learned from a master.