BYYB Forums

Full Version: Forum advertising pop ups?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Can I ask about the advertising that has just crept into the forum? The last couple of times I've looked at the forum certain words/phrases in peoples post text have been displayed blue coloured and when you put your mouse over it some ad site comes up?

Is this some sort of hack or a new revenue raising plan for the BYYB (which would be fine)

Cheers

Gerrard
Which posts are you talking about?  I have nothing like that happening when I read posts?  Is the test in question a link to a website, such as; http://www.woodenboat.com/.  if it is then it is normal for your computer to react to a link.  if they are not links then it might be your computer and not the posts.  Google has added several features lately that they say are there to make your computing more focused but in actuality are just spyware that monitors your browsing and directs it to places that google thinks you are or should be interested in.  I don't use any google or other browser helpers or add ons.  They are all spyware cloaked has helpers.  If you are using chrome and google live they are basically treating your computer as a dummy terminal for their distributive methods.  It is not just google either there are several types of spy and malware that do what you are describing.

If this forum is doing what you are suggesting then it has either been hacked or is engaginging if for profit behavior.  I am under the assumption that B.Y.Y.B. is a non-profit club.organization so the later would not be some thing they would want to be doing.  I would like to try the same posts you are experiencing that behavior on so if you can just put a link to the post in your reply.
Thanks Terry,

one example is this post from yesterday

Re: Vacationer progress
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2012, 05:05:34 AM »
QuoteModifyRemove
good one Dave! I'm a little stalled of late; busy time of year at work plus rain for bloody ever!! Got some holidays coming up so hope to get a break in the weather and get the hull finished with its double bias covering. Let's see those pictures too! - here's one of the transom (mine) with its glass epoxied on and another of the great big hull and the tiny garage door it's going to fit through when I'm ready to move it out the front!! - yes it will, of course it will - I've measured it to the centimetre!!!

when I open it the 'garage door' words are highlighted blue and if I put the cursor over it, a pop up ad comes up - could be just my google chrome being targeted as you suggest?

anyhow, thanks for the reply

good hunting!

Gerrard
yep, it's google chrome - doesn't happen if I open up in firefox.

cheers, I'm going back to the boat!
Gerrard
"Free" Chrome does have a cost.  Many sites use various advertizing links.  All we have ever used is solicitation for paid memberships and a link to Amazon.com books from which we receive a small amount if you buy a book. 
Google use to be one of the good guys.  Their searches were accurate based on how many other sites had links and referrals.  Their page was simplicity in design.  Now you can buy advertising from them that gets you on the first page of any search, they monitor your searches and pass that information on to other interests that subscribe to that program, they use your photos without direct approval if you use Google live and they link your online behavior to social networks you belong to.  You can opt out on some of it and using live or chrome is optional.

I am a bit of a dinosaur when it comes to some parts of the world wide web.  I don't use social websites, like facebook, keep my activities as none identifying as I know how to do and refuse to install software that comes with spy or malware.  Almost all websites do a bit of tracking even if they don't realise they are.  If they have a picture on them your system automatically loads a copy of the picture/image into your temporary internet files stored on you hard drive.  You get rid of those pictures and browsing history by deleting your temporary internet files and cookies.  I have mine set to auto delete the files whenever I close the browser.  It slows load times but not by much if you have broadband.  You can get totally paranoid and use proxy internat access which prevents everyone except you internet service provider from knowing who are and where you go but some sites, specifically some commerce sites tend to not like proxy access.

B.Y.Y.B. is an exception.  We all use real information here but to me it is well worth it.  The knowledge other members have and willingly share is fantastic.  The genuinely goodheart support and friendly reponses are examples of what the internet can be at it's best.