BYYB Forums

Full Version: Windsurfing Sails for Superskipjack?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Ok,  Tracked down a couple of used Windsurfers.  No easy feat in Montana.    I've got 2 15' fiberglass masts for my mast and boom.    In the deal I got 3 sails.    The nicest is 14 x 8'.    I was thinking of possibly piecing two together for the main sail but I'm not so sure how well that would turn out.    Should I just use the sail "as is" for the main sail and trim another one down for the jib?    I have zero sailing experience as a captain but I don't think it should be too hard to set this up "Marconi style"?  instead of the Gaff rig.    Or vice versa convert to a Gaff later if on.      The blue sail is in the worst shape with plastic pealing off one side.      If I don't use these then I'm probably going polytarp.  ...Sorry had to throw the truck in as it's the 1st time I've really used the roof rack Smile.
Hi!
i'm also building a sskipjack, hope to be in the water the end of this month. i'd probably go polytarp/gaff rig. the sail area will be way smaller with that sail. i ordered my trap from tarps plus went with this one : http://www.tarpsplus.com/clear-poly-tarps-singles.html
i think it'll look great.

how is your build going?

bob
I built a Triad.  I wanted to build the SSjack but the plans were nto available at the time.  I ended up with regular SS plans and opted for the Triad instead.  I went with a poly tarp sail also and ordered from the same place as Bob.  I am in Billings.  Where are you in Montana? 
Bob,  Was looking at your other post and your boat is looking good.  I've always kind of judged my progress against yours..  I have my trailer.  I'm working on the rudderbox.... got some trim work and the mast and rigging to go.  I've never had the patience for the detail work so I'm sure yours will turn out much nicer.  Mine is Largo blue & white as well.  Are you bringing your tiller over the top?  I've become a single parent since starting so finding time to work can be challenging.  Terry, I'm in Helena.  I waited several months for the Super Skipjack plans to come out.  I liked the looks of the triad as well.  Having never sailed I also thought it might be more stable but thought I might like something that performed a little better.
I have to admit the the Triad is no speed boat, about 4 knots at best maybe 5, but I should be able to drink coffee while sailing and not spill any.  Actually I wanted the first build to be small, simple, something get back and forth from a bigger deep water boat.  One day my daughter and I want to tow the boat to Canyon Ferry for a sail so get you boat done and maybe you can show us around the lake.
yup my tillers going over the top dont like any
holes in my boat ! if we get enough boats together
id bring mine down to montana for a weekend
We should do a get together.  Mine is easily trailered and the winds blows almost everyday.  I should mention no sales tax and friendly people also.