BYYB Forums

Full Version: Wood strip Weekender?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Having completed a standard Weekender 2 years ago, and being very satisfied with the boat I'd like to know if it is possible to build a Weekender using the same method as a stripper canoe ( which I've built a few over the years ) Finished clear it would certainly be a beauty.
How would one go about this if this is a valid idea?
Strip planking is usually reserved for round bilge hull forms, not the hard chine form of a Weekender. This said you could strip the Weekender, though this would be a much more tedious method of building the boat's panels. The inherent strengths of strip planking aren't taken to full advantage with panel construction either, so the simple answer is sure you can do it, but it's harder, not as strong and doesn't offer any distinct advantages over the plywood build.

If you want a bight finish on a Weekender, you can simply glue on a veneer, which is a lot easier then dozens and dozens of strips. If you wanted a carvel planked look, you'd have to fit them fairly precisely, but the end result would be quite attractive. You could also just use good plywood and neat building techniques. You'll have a few seams, but this is normal and acceptable to most. If you fit the panels well, the seam will be difficult to see.
When I built my little boat I used a good grade of marine ply and it looked great with just clear epoxy which would be close to a varnish or clear coat.  My wife and a few friends thought I should leave it that way and just couldn't understand why I was intent on sanding that finish dull and painting the boat.  I sat the thing out in the sun one day and we had a picnic in the boat.  After about 10 minutes the sweat was running pretty good and my wife realized why so many sail boats have a light color on top.  It looked great and on a cold day might have some benefit but on a hot Montana summer day, it was 93 here yesterday, dark would not be fun.

My original plan was for a dark to medium blue hull with a white deck.  I painted up a piece of ply and tried looking over it, as if it were the nose of a boat, on a bright summer day.  I needed uv lensed dark glasses just to stand the glare.  A few forum members suggested something off white or light grey because of the glare.  I decided to change the color scheme to light grey over the blue.  Looking at a few dark colored hulls and noticing that dark colors don't hide imperfections as well as light do made me decide to flip the colors.

The boat is named after my daughter who insisted that blue and grey were "boy" colors and thought the boat should be painted pink and purple.  She was 9 at the time.  Not wanting to be seen or sail in a pink and purple boat we settled on medium yellow over the light grey with watermellon pink trim.  I like how she turned out and owned the paints in question so think it was the best choice.  Pictures of the bright clear finished hull and mostly painted colored are attached.
A bright white painted deck is about 40 to 50 degrees cooler in direct Florida sunshine then black. Even light colors, such as grey or yellow are 20 or more degrees warmer then bright white.

Meranti looks good "wet" doesn't it . . .

Terry, your daughter is obviously going to be a "Price is Right" model some day, maybe helping an aging Drew, give someone a new Kia hatchback.
The trouble with a picture thats a few years old is you look at it and wish the kid could have stayed like that.  She is enterting her teen years and has decided black is the new pink.  I am sure I am preaching to a choir of dads out there and should count my blessings.  If I was painting the boat today she would be lobbying for a black boat with chrome trim.  I only have myself to blame I took her to see Ghostrider and she now likes harleys.  I do have the summer to woo her back to the wonders of wind and waves though so there's still a chance to save her.

I think the grey/yellow/pink has kind of a Mediterranean look.  What do you think Paul?

I attached a couple more pictures with the bright finish.  If you love wood, and I think most on this forum do, anything that lets the beauty and grain shine tugs at the heart stings.  For me practicle trumps beauty if you are going to actually use an item so paint won out.