BYYB Forums

Full Version: Over-the-transom tiller for my Vacationer
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I need to start planning ahead.  On my Weekender, I opted for a through-the transom tiller and it works great!  No need to rethink the main sheet rigging, and the lazarette hatch I installed gives easy access to lazarette storage and the tiller-rudder connection, even while under way.  It was a lot of extra work, though:  plotting the arc and swing of the tiller, cutting the slot, and then trimming around it.  For the Vacationer, I'd like to go with an over-the-transom tiller.  Anyone tried this?  Photos?  If so, how did you handle the main sheet rigging so the tiller doesn't interfere?  I'll do the through-the-transom system if necessary, but I want to consider the other option also.

Dave
i'm doing the same thing on my super skipjack, just didn't want that hole in the transom. i'm planning a line that runs up and over the tiller, with a block that will slide a bit back and forth on the line. i've seen someone here with a similar setup and i think it should work. i'm a few weeks away from rigging my boat, but i'll be posting more pics as i finish the painting and rigging in the next little while.
I have an idea to make emergency tiller, witch can be attached through lazarette. If you don't want to make steering wheel and not to make hole in a transom, you can make normal tiller and a traveler above it.
Here is a photo of my tiller setup installed on Ginny Rae

[Image: KeenanGregsSail1stboattripJul08075.jpg]
this system works well, I built the rudder box taller to hold the tiller clear of the transom.

Greg
This is a better angle

[Image: KeenanGregsSail1stboattripJul08003.jpg] 

Greg
Thanks, Greg.  I am currently using a similar rig on my Weekender because of the lazarette  hatch I installed.  I wasn't sure if there would be any intereference between the line and the tiller on a Vacationer.  Also, what do you think about my using somewhat smaller stringers (1-1/4") rather than the 1-1/2" called for in the Vac plans?

Dave
greg;

thanks for the photos, i'm really interested in the way you've got your mainsheet rigged, as i'm planning the same setup on my super skipjack. can you give me a bit more detail?

if i'm seeing correctly, you have a line from port to starboard with a block (i assume secured?) at the mid point?
then your mainsheet runs through it the same as if it was bolted to the deck?
and lastly, do you have a way to secure the mainsheet so you're not holding it all the time (i've been wanting to solve that one )
Bob that's an "up and back" sheet arrangement. Blocks are mounted on the deck near the outboard edges of the aft deck. The sheet is tied to the boom mounted block's becket, then runs down and around the starboard side block, back up and through the boom block, down the the port side block, back up to the boom block, then appears to travel down the boom to a turning block and cleat (assumed). This allows the sheet to clear the tiller, but it's not a traveler setup, just a divided sheet purchase.
Paul put the words to the rig correctly, I have a jam cleat on the binnacle in the centre of the cockpit. You need extra sheet length for this rig over the plans recommended length. Hope this info helps.

Greg
ah, ok that makes sense i've seen that setup before
thanks guys.
Pages: 1 2