BYYB Forums

Full Version: Vacationer Hull bottom photo
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Here's a photo of my Vacationer's bottom.  I created simulated planking, which I will also do on the deck and the cabin roof.  The bottom is scarfed, so no panel joiners!

Dave
That is really nice! Could you please explain what you mean by simulated. Is that plywood or did you use lumber?
It's amazing what you can do with a Sharpie and a straight edge ain't it? Looks good Dave.
Now, that's just plain showing off Dave! Looks like you could eat off it!
Thanks for the comments, guys!  Actually, Paul, my first thought was to simply use a straightedge and draw the lines with a Sharpie.  I realized that it would be really easy to make a mistake (or several) using hand-eye coordination.  The wood would be permanently stained and the job ruined.  To ensure that I "colored inside the lines", I used a laminate trimmer router with a 1/4" bit and built a jig to guide it straight.  I then "let in" each line about 1-32" to 1/16" with the router.  Now I had a little groove to guide the Sharpie so no "coloring outside the lines".  Seems time consuming, but I finished the whole bottom in one afternoon.

Dave
i agree with the showing off comment!!! wow that looks amazing, but please never park beside my boat!

Smile
Bob:  My hobby is woodworking, so I know a trick or two.  Also this is my second boat!  Experience helps!  You builld for yourself more than for others...at least I do.

Dave
It is your boat.  Build it your way.  But like Bob said... park by someone else ok.  Oh and no balls unless you inlay and mermaid on each side of the bow.
Looks really sharp man...