BYYB Forums

Full Version: mast / boom specs?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
G'Day!

i'm going to build my mast / boom instead of using the windsurfer mast as the skipjack plans have spec'd out. so i'm wondering what the weekender specs are for these parts, and how i should build them to suit the super skipjack. for my mast, i've planned a box style mast, hollow with inserts for through bolted areas, but the boom, i'm wondering if 2 1x3's laminated together would be the right size, scale, as well as sizes for the gaff spar

i'm hoping to get started on my final push to get the boat in the water within the next couple of weeks depending on the weather, and i think i need 3-4 weeks to get it all done, but this is something i've been thinking about for a while and i'd appreciate any help!

any thoughts?
Hello Bob,I am building the skipjack as well and wanted wood mast and spars,when I asked about this The stevenson's recommended 2 inch diameter minimum for mast and spars made of wood,so that is what I have done(minus the Boom which I havn't started yet)

There have been many discussions here on the hollow mast and it seems to be favored for the weight savings,ability to run wires thru and aesthetic appeal.There seems to be more disagreement on the Hollow gaff as there is less weight savings here I believe.For the Boom many like extra weight here and it is said to be helpfull in sail shape and function.

I don't have the dimension of the weekender spars at hand,and altho the skipjack and weekender use the same sail rig The weekender is a much bigger boat so don't know about using the weekender spar dimensions on the skipjack.

Bob.

I'll post dimensions for you  as soon as I can.  The Weekender mast, boom and gaff should be right for the Super Skipjack.  Both use the same set of dacron sails that the Stevensons sell. 

Dave
Bob:
I used douglas fir, straight grained cut into an octagon, then smoothed round for my boom and gaff.  My mast is hollow sitka spruce using birdsmouth construction.

From the plans:
The boom is 132" long by 2" diameter.
The gaff is 74" long by 1-1/2" diameter.
The mast is 15"1" long from the hinge.  The mast stub is 47" long.  The stub is 3-1/2" square throughout it's length.  The mast tapers from 3-1/2" square at the base to 2-1/4" square at the top (Before rounding).  Begin the taper of the mast 30" above the bottom (where the hinge attaches).

Dave
I have on my list to do an addenda to the Super Skipjack plans which shows the old, Mark 1 Weekender rig. It should be perfect for the new SSkip. Also the longer tiller.

Mike
(03-25-2012, 10:39 AM)mikestevenson link Wrote: [ -> ]I have on my list to do an addenda to the Super Skipjack plans which shows the old, Mark 1 Weekender rig. It should be perfect for the new SSkip. Also the longer tiller.

Mike

If you do that, can you send me a link? If I ever so far as to actually build my SSkip,  I will certainly go for some kind of wooden mast.
thanks guys, i'll be starting on mine soon, and will post pics, specs as soon as i can. from the drawings, i assume there is no topping lift on these rigs so the weight of the boom is supported only by the sail?
Right about the topping lift, Bob.  Doing without is a real pain in the a$$!  I installed one.  Works great and lets you maneuver without a lapfull of sail!  Here's a link to Frank Hagan's site.  I used his topping lift idea. 
http://www.frankhagan.com/weekender/toplift.htm

Dave
The mast is 15' 1" overall.  Cut off 47" up from the base to allow the bottom to be the tabernacle.  Install the hinge at that point.

The mast is much stronger than needed as Mike has stated.  It could be cut from a 4 X 4  and taperd from 3 1/2" square at 30" up from the base and tapered to about 2 1/4 at the top.  I used a 12" 4 X 4 and a 4' piece of 4 X 4 and it gave me a little more headroom when the mast is down.  Otherwise doesn't affect the practical use of the combination.    I've seen 2- 1X 3 X 16' laminated together  with 2- 2 x 16' between them leaving a channel down the middle to make a mast on several of them and they are plenty strong enough even when tapered and with the corners knocked down with a 3/4" Round over bit in a router.  A 2 X 2 will make a good gaff boom if it isn't too heavy a piece of wood  A piece of 1 1/4 inch dowel would work fine as well. 
I've also used  a 2 X 3 clear quartersawn DF for the boom.  I like the extra weight in the boom.  I'm using a loose footed main and I love the control I have over the sail shape.  But the Stevensons call for a length of stair rail for the boom.  Works just fine too.
Amen to adding the topping lift.
well i'm planning a hollow box style mast, using 1x3 stock fore and aft and 1x2 on the sides, making a finished hollow mast that is 2.5 x 3" . above the boom, i'll knock off all the corners with a rounding bit . i'll also use solid blocking inside the mast where i need to for attachments, for the boom, i'm considering 2 @ 1x3 laminated together (to avoid any warping) then maybe trimmed down to a finished size of 1.5 x 2" for some reason, i think the boom at 1.5 x 2.5 would be a little too big. for the gaff boom, im thinking the same idea, laminating 2 1x2's together, then rounding all the corners for a finished size 1.5" square

as i play with getting going on the mast, some of this may change, i hope to start next weekend. as always, any input is great!
Pages: 1 2