BYYB Forums

Full Version: Questions for Vacationer builders
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I'm about to start my Vacationer build.  How much epoxy and cloth did people use to build the boat.  I plan to fully encapsulate the plywood.

Dave
Have to stand by for that answer; still doing mine. I have used boardcloth(6oz) on deck, cockpit and cabin roof and have probably used less than 4 metres and about 6 litres of 2 to 1 epoxy. I plan to use double bias on the hull exterior and expect I'll need about 20 litres all up (epoxy plus hardener). Will let you know when I know for sure; ie after I've done it! Keep planning but not for too long! 

all the best

Gerrard
If by double bias, you're speaking of biaxial fabric, then I wouldn't recommend this. Biax is used in high strength applications, but is difficult to fair out smooth. The exterior of the hull needs only a light sheathing (2 - 8 ounce or 68 - 272 GSM). The sheathing is for abrasion protection only, besides you'll gain very little additional strength with just a single layer of biax.
Paul I dont know if I have 8 or 6 ounce. I will have to check out the label, But I was wondering,
should I maybe do a few layers of cloth? I was planning on at least 2 layers any way and maybe more on the chines? i dunno .
I am going to practuce with the glass on the seat frames i want to encapsulate the wood on the frames anyway but i want to put some abrasion resistance where the hatch will be hitting.
      I dont remember how much glass I used, I had some left over from building kayaks plus I did buy a 150 yd roll of 6oz, looks like I have about 50 yards left on the roll.  Check out Thayercraft.com. I only paid about $1.25. a yd but that was 3 years ago, have used Thayercraft for well over 10 years, tell them what you need  they are very helpfull plus free shipping.
                                                Keith W.

I used 5 oz and epoxy from Raka Marine. I've had very good service from Larry at Raka, he can help you decide the amount of cloth and epoxy. I think I used about 8 gallons on Sultana.
Bridog,  One layer is sufficient.  Multiple layers only add weight, cost, and cause fairing problems.  Get the hull, except keel, the decks and the cockpit and you'll be good to go with her.  Be sure to fill the weave of the cloth with the necessary top coats of poxy.  One maybe two will do.  Apply with a squegee to control the thickness of the coats.  After the last coat a light sanding with a scotch brite pad or 320 will have you ready for paint.
Sweet! Thanks Craig. I doubt it will be ready for the beer but damit, I'm finishin' this thing This year. (I hope) Big Grin
If I dont get on a sail boat this year, especially mine, I think I will implode. Smile
thanks all for this interesting thread. Will have a rethink about the 'double bias' - 6-8oz sounds good to me; cheaper and a lot easier if the double bias really won't give me that much advantage; my perspective is that it is just for abrasion resistance rather than adding a huge amount of strength to the hull also so will see.... Have painted 2 coats of white undercoat/primer on the inside of the boat now so getting ready to consider the big turn over to glass the hull...any suggestions here as to best way to turn her over?

cheers everyone
Gerrard
Biax (double bias directional fabric) is for high strength areas and not easy to fair out. It's way stronger then regular cloth, but except over fillets or chines, in a taped steam build (the Stevenson design aren't), you don't need biax.

A light cloth sheathing (2 to 8 ounce or 68 to 270 GSM) is all you really need for general service. Multiple layers can be useful if you need extra protection, but if just looking for extra abrasion resistance, then other materials like Dynel or Xynole are much better.  All this said, as a rule it's better to use 2 layers of 6 ounce then a single of 12, but this assumes you'll get good inter-laminate contact, well controlled resin/fiber ratios and other stuff, back yard builders really don't care about so much.
Pages: 1 2 3