BYYB Forums

Full Version: Southern yellow pine
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Has anyone had experience using southern yellow pine as keel material?  I realize the term "southern yellow pine" may comprise any of three different genuses of pine.

Dave
Real SYP is getting hard to find in most of the country, though the south east still has it relatively available. It's fairly easy to identify, once you know what it looks like, but difficult to describe in words.

As far as the SPF stock being sold in Lowe's/Depot, typically in dimensional stock (2x6's, etc.), this can be a good source for deadwood material, assuming you go through the stack and find good pieces. By the widest and longest boards you can (2"x12"x16') and rip these down to the sizes you actually need. Do this because the wide/long boards have to come from older, more mature trees, so defects are few and the grain is straight. I buy lumber like this all the time, having no problem picking through a stack to find a dozen or so, perfect, straight grain, no knots stock.

About every 10th board you'll notice one is particularly heavy, noticeably heavier then the rest. These are the ones you want (assuming their not wet). These will be trees that grew in the shade or on a hill, where they had to grow longer and taller to get to the sunshine. These trees are more dense, have tighter growth rings, etc. and just the ticket for keels.
as paul said,great for keel application.................2 years later and still straight as an arrow.........I went through a huge stack at an expensive lumber yard in beaufort,nc...............heaviest pcs I could find...absolutely beautiful,nothing like it at box stores.............if I remember correctly this forum recommended the yellow pine and meranti ply and were right both times..................bruce
The lumberyard I contacted doesn't even stock Douglas fir for construction purposes (joists etc)  The only stock souther yellow pine.  I will have to buy 20 foot 2X12's and have them planed to 3/4 inch.  I'm building a new Vacationer.  The bill will be $138 for the lumber and planing.  Not too bad.  Anyone see a problem with the stock I'll be purchasing?