BYYB Forums

Full Version: Hello all, going to build a Pocket Cruiser
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey guys,  Guess I will be on here a fair bit asking for advice so thought I had better introduce myself.  I live in Queensland - Australia 40 minutes from the ocean.  We have a lot of sheltered waters here as there are a couple of large Islands just off the mainland.  So lots to explore and potentially many over night sailing trips with the boys and the wife (not at the same time ;o) of course).
The Pocket Cruiser is the boat for us, lots of room in the cabin for two to snuggle.  We were looking for a "couples" boat for a while that didn't have the centreboard down the middle.  We were pretty excited to finally find one.  John Harris (of "Pocket Yacht" fame) suggested the boat is a class-less boat that will benefit from having a motor (to make up for the lake of sailing ability) - although he admits it will be easier and cheaper to build then his own design.  But sailing speed within a "class" is not what we are after.  We want a boat for cruising and exploring that is small and roomy WITHOUT THE BLOODY CENTREBOARD!!  Bingo, the plans are on the way.  Will keep you al posted with piccies and updates.

I had a practice run with a little 14foot sharpie, we made a video if anyone is interested, it can be found here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnylgYKw0_w

Andrew Stokes
Welcome Aboard Andrew, Great video mate. there are alot of builders/designers here so any questions you may have ask away mate.
Also we have lots of older posts from builders that may help you along the way as well.

Brian.
G'day Andrew

I'm surprised you live in Queensland. Where about? I live in North Lakes, approx. 30 km north of Brisbane, just behind Deception Bay/ Boundary Road.

So pleased to learn that I won't be the only Queenslander sailing the Pocket cruiser.

About a week to get your plans so it is few more days. When you see plans first time, don't worry as it actually comes out easier after you gaze through it for hours.

Regards Ronald

Will be telling of my side of the story on BYYB later tonight