BYYB Forums

Full Version: five minute epoxy
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've been doing some minor repairs and upgrades to my weekender this winter and have run up against a repair that I am unsure of.  A corner of the plywood on my hatch cover has started to delaminate and I would like to glue it down with 5 minute epoxy.  I there any reason not to use the quick stuff on a repair that will be exposed to the elements?

Al
5 minute epoxy  is very low strength, tends to be brittle and not as water proof as regular laminating resin epoxy. This type of epoxy is just fine for repairs, to the wicker chair your well fed uncle Al broke last Christmas, but not much else, particularly if weather exposed.

Mix up a small batch of regular epoxy and wet out the delaminated area (assumes it's good and dry). When the area is good and wet with straight epoxy, mix up a thickened batch (milled fibers and silica) and fill the delaminated spot, smearing it as smooth as you can. Leave the repair slightly lower than surrounding surfaces, so you can apply some light weight filler (balloons or spheres and a slight bit of silica, etc.) to fair the spot into the neighboring surfaces. Then prime and paint to match.
Thanks Paul,

That was exactly the reply I was hoping for.  I have used 5 min. epoxy during my build.  It was real handy inside the cabin to hold through hull parts like the chain plate backing plates in place so I could finish drilling the holes without help.  I did notice that it set up harder than my main epoxy, so was suspicious.  The hatch cover I am working on is finished bright, so I plan to use the marinepoxy unthickened in between the layers, then refinish so that it doesn't show too much. 

I am using the five minute stuff to put together a small cupboard inside the cabin, mainly because it is so handy to use.  I doubt that this little cupboard will get beat up enough to warrant better glue. 

Thanks again,

Al
You got it Al, 5 minute epoxy should be thought of as the "quick sticker-upper", but nothing else.
Lol, sounds like madge
I've used it on small repairs for outdoor projectsf or years. If painted/varnished never had a problem.  Wouldn't glue a rubrail to the hull with it, but small fixes should be OK.

Dave