BYYB Forums

Full Version: PDR Sailing Rigs?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I am at that point on my Puddle Duck where I need to decide on a sailing set up...I want to close up the decks soon and decide on the sailing rig..

Hull is done...

http://lumberjocks.com/matt1970/blog/26913

The pdr site is GREAT for info...but does not have the interactive advice...so if you have any suggestions...

The PDR has been setup with about every rig imaginable, including a brigantine!

The usual choices are the lug, Bermudian, Bermudian with sprit boom, the sprit, the gaff and the gunter.

There are advantages and disadvantages to all rigs, so select one that is simple, easy to build and controllable. A Bermudian cat will point the best, but be disadvantaged off the wind, unless you fly a kite or other down wind sail. The lug will be slightly less windwardly, but has more area to present in off wind situations, plus can still fly a kite. The gunter, gaff and sprit all are disadvantaged going up wind, but advantaged down, because of area up high.

A sloop with similar rigs, has about the same advantages and disadvantages, just more strings to pull and tend. The size of the PDR, pretty much suggests it should be a cat boat of some sort. Reasonable sheeting angles on the headsail of a sloop could become challenging, not to mention tending.

I vote for a 2:1+ aspect Bermudian cat rig, with a sprit boom and rotating mast or sock luff. The  tall luff will get you to windward better, the sprit boom is self vanging and the rotating mast or sock luff cleans up the flow around the pole for better efficiency.
Hey Paul,

What do you think of a nice sized lateen rig on a PD?

Al Stead
BTW---there are three I am thinking about:

1) Sunfish sail---since that is what is in the Catbox plans I have...
2) Mutton 59 (cant remember exact name for this sail---but I think its phil bolger?)...this is the most common sail according 
3) Gaff Rig...since this is what will go on my Weekender and the idea of the PDR is to learn to sail...

Matt
The lanteen rig has a bunch of issues, but for learning to sail and simplicity, it's a good choice, just not if you want to go fast. The gaff rig is heavy and has a lot of windage, so upwind it'll be a bit of a dog. Off wind it will pick up it's heels, but it takes a fair amount of fiddling to get it to scoot without much fuss. The Mutton 59 rig is a 1.7:1 or 1.8:1 Bermudian rig, usually with a sprit boom. It's short, squat nature limits windward ability, but it's better then a gaff, gunter or sprit. If the aspect ratio was increased slightly to just over 2, say 2.2:1, then you'll have something that can claw to windward. The sprit boom keeps loads light and simple too. Again this would be my choice for this boat and I'd look to use about 70 sq. ft. of area at first on the PDR, then up to 100, as skill levels build and willingness to get wet grew.
Thanks Paul...

Actually in the SCA magazine where I first saw the boat a couple months ago the builder set it up for TWO rigs...and it is clear that a lot of people change their rigs after building...
The PDR has what all "starter" boats have, not enough of this and not enough of that, but you don't know this until you've sailed it a bit. It's silly to build a boat that is over powered for your skill set initially, so most opt for a bigger rig, once they get a feel for the thing. This is perfectly normal.

The OZ PDR has a bigger rig and you can look into it, as an upgrade.
Nice job, Matt.

Dave
Thanks Dave...

I found this site about poly sails...any thoughts?  remember the goal of my pdr is to get on the water asap while I finish my weekender...

here is a link from made sails by polysails international:

http://polysail.com/products.htm

on the product page they sail complete leg o mutton sails...or you can buy a kit and they have full instructions...looks like an option right now...

I need to decide so I can move forward on spars, etc...BUT THREE DAY WEEKEND BABY!!!  SO I hope to get far...

matt
Okay...I have pretty much decided to buy NEW dacron sails made for sunfish ...which is what my michalak "catbox" plans call for...I found new ones that are in stock at                      $149...for this is almost as cheap as a Leg o Mutton Polytarp set...

My big issue with the LOM has been the 16 foot mast...which in the long run will be no big deal...when I finish my Weekender and buy a trailer, etc...16 ffeet is no issue...

But the point of my pdr is---now, fast, easy...and teh Sunfish sail will allow me to be sailing in WEEKS...and when the time changes...I am so close to the GENTLE napa river I can pop in after school (teacher) ...for a row/sail etc...and a small lake a little further until I am ready for the river...

The sunfish/lateen has 8 foot spars...and I can pop the spars and boat in the back of our van...

So...still to go on the pdr:

glass bottom, make spars, mastbox/step, attach leeboard, make leeboard, make rudder/tiller, and BAM...

If I can find a a used set that comes with mast already I will buy that...but looking tonight on Craigs list...no luck...so I think making spars in plans and buying sails is the way to go right now...

SAILING BY SPRING BREAK!!!

Here is the latest blog---with photos on my pdr---NOW NAMED: "Sidetracked" see the blog for the reason why...

http://lumberjocks.com/matt1970/blog/283...nt-1187004

matt