BYYB Forums

Full Version: Starting with a scale model...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
My plans arrived 12-27-11 and my boat has been built for a week now. I used a scale of 3/4" to 1'. I diverged from the plans primarily in the cockpit. This was a great learning exercise for me, and I look forward to when I have the resources to go full size. Oh, and my thanks to many of you who posted valuable information to this and other forums, photos and videos here and elsewhere, too.

My blog is here http://kingsfoldsailboat.blogspot.com/
Greetings Gill,

That was entertaining. Where did you find the little androids?

If you want to kill some more time before ordering up the lumber for the full scale hull, try building the boat again in a much larger scale, such as 2":1', or 1/6th scale, using 1/16" or 3/32" plywood. That would yield a hull about 3 feet long, which would have enough volume to allow for R/C conversion.  Smile  Seriously though, the larger scale will yield a very pretty boat, will acquaint you with some of the quirks in the parts layout, and will allow you to find working hardware for pulleys and fair leads.

Cheers,
Tom
Thanks, Tom.

Killing time that way would be very pleasant, I think. Of course what would be more pleasant in that equation would be having the time to kill in that fashion... The down side is that I'd be no closer to sailing in my boat when the larger model was finished. But I suppose if I'm not able to acquire the resources for a full-size boat, sailing an R/C version would be better than nothing. Hey, do they still make G.I. Joes like when I was little? They would make great sailors, don't you think?

The androids came from a local stationary store that has a good art supply section in it. I suppose a more accurate name for them would be artist manikins.