BYYB Forums

Full Version: Konnichiwa ...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Greetings all, (Konnichiwa)

I know it's not a boat, but it was built by a boat builder of impeccable lineage ...

[Image: 20090129191928-610x457.jpg]
http://koikoikoi.com/2011/10/wooden-bicy...hiro-sano/

Cheers,
Tom

P.S.

One of the boats built by Sueshiro SANO ...

[Image: prettyengel1.jpg]

[Image: pretty991204a.jpg]

more at ...  http://sanomagic.world.coocan.jp/englishindex.html#top
Wow what a talent!  Amazing workmanship.  Thanks for shareing this Tom.
Greetings Craig,

Yes, his workmanship is amazing.

If you poke around on the web site long enough, you will find photos of the insides of the boats ...

Where even the sink is made of wood ...
[Image: 1.jpg]

and the drawer fronts and the soles have inlays ...
[Image: 2.jpg]

And just for you Craig ...

He also made a nice little 21 footer ...

[Image: 070203_51.jpg]

[Image: 070318_25.jpg]

[Image: 061223_13.jpg]

[Image: 061223_44.jpg]

Where the insides were finished bright ...

[Image: 070203_23.jpg]

[Image: 070203_35.jpg]

[Image: 070203_30.jpg]

Are we to assume that the Saralee II will be built to the same level of craftmanship?

;D

Cheers,
Tom
Greetings all,

I thought this was interesting ... Sueshiro uses a massive cabin beam set on pillars to transfer the loads from the deck stepped tabernacle and mast to the hull. There is no compression post directly under the mast to transfer compression loads to the keel.

[Image: 060917_03.jpg]

Looks like the pillars and beam were set temporarily in place for the following photo ...

[Image: 060917_14.jpg]

Then the pillars were built into the hull using stubby bulkheads ...

[Image: 060928_09.jpg]

The finished bulkheads, pillars, and beam ... minus the berth and seat cushions ...

[Image: 061223_18.jpg]

And finally, a closeup of where the beam, pillar, bulkhead, and hull ceiling all meet ...

[Image: 070203_33.jpg]

Sueshiro's woodwork looks to be as much art for art's sake as it does a functioning sail boat.

For a boat about the same size as a Vacationer, this seams like a superior arrangement as it leaves the cabin clear of obstructions and allows the use of the bow for a "V" shaped berth. I can also imagine that from a structural analysis perspective, this arrangement might produce a stronger hull as the upwards pulling forward shrouds can be attached to the same timbers that support the downward pushing mast. Our more traditional arrangement of attaching the upwards pulling shrouds to the hull side and transferring the downward pushing mast load to the keel via a compression post has a distorting effect on the hull which has to be resisted with heavier keels, heavier frames, and possibly a bulkhead in the same plane as the compression post. Of course there is an upper limit on the size of the boat that this technique can be used on as the oversized deck beam must be able to resist the compression of the mast across the span of the cabin without distorting, and we know that the compression force in the mast can equal the full displacement weight of the boat, but it is certainly an interesting variation on boat building.

Any comments?

cheers,
Tom
Well it looks nice anyway,and he is a far better woodworker than I Smile

Tom,  I think the SL II will not be constructed to these standards.  His craftsmanship  is sure something to shoot for but way beyond my poor efforts.  I'm pretty happy if they float!  These boats are true museum pieces.  I suspect after reading his Bio that he could build one of these beauties as fast as we can build our boats.  I only wish I could do that kind of work!
He is a true master of his craft, amazing!