BYYB Forums

Full Version: Happy Thanksgiving - anybody still sailing?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Happy Thanksgiving.

Anybody still sailing?

The water is still "soft" in Illinois.

I was out for a short 25 mile tune-up ride and had to stop by the docks when I saw a boat being trailered in towards the local sailing pond. She is a Chrysler Man-O-War, and is one of the few boats with a shorter setup time than a Weekender. The Man-O-War has an unstayed two-piece slip together round aluminum pole mast with a sock-sail that slips over the top. Securing the rudder takes half the setup time. The boat can be water-ready in ten minutes.

[Image: Man-O-War-1.jpg] [Image: Man-O-War-2.jpg]

If you click on the images, they get a little larger.

Cheers,
Tom
Tom:  I'm 80 miles north of you, and the water is soft here too, but damned COLD.  And so is the air!  I last sailed a month ago.  "Molly" is secured for the winter.

Dave
I'll have my Christmas day sail, like I do every year. Generally, I don't need a special day or reason, the water is always warm, the beaches always have bikinis on them, regardless of the time of the year.
Tom and Dave,

So where in Illinois are you guys?  I live in Avon and keep my Catalina 22 in a slip in Peoria.

Kurt Ayres
Kurt:  We live in Wisconsin, just west of Milwaukee.  I sail in a large lake called Pewaukee Lake, about 2500 acres. Tom lives outside of Chicago, I believe.

Dave
(11-28-2011, 05:42 AM)Dave Blake link Wrote: [ -> ]Tom lives outside of Chicago...

In the western Crook County, not too far from the sailing pond in Busse Woods, where the water just got crunchy ...

[Image: Busse_01.jpg]

[Image: Busse_02.jpg]

[Image: Busse_03.jpg]

Cheers,
Tom
Hey I see some soft spots out there Smile
48 degrees today! Still no sailing!
(12-13-2011, 09:19 PM)Bob Booska link Wrote: [ -> ]Hey I see some soft spots out there Smile

Greetings Bob,

Yeah ... about those soft spots ... We have a guy here who owns a Hobie cat who use to think that way. So he suited up in his Gore-Tex and went sailing in the soft spots only to find that the crunchy areas are not always easy to see. The bad news is, he now has a permanent bootstripe tattooed into his gelcoat. The good news is, he now finds it easier to paint his hulls in a two-tone format, and his cat looks rediculously fast with visually thinner hulls.

Cheers,
Tom