BYYB Forums

Full Version: total costs and time spent to date
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Well, i've closed up shop for the winter, its a beautiful day today, but we are close enough to winter now, that i've decided to finish my painting in the spring. it's just too cold at night, and my garage isn't heated so i don't want to do any more till spring. but it's been a productive summer:

- my hull is complete, i've put one coat of paint on it, and sanded a large amount of it off, as it was very helpful in showing me
  where i had issues, missed spots with sanding, etc. i also got a couple of coats on the cockpit before i flipped the boat over, so come
  springtime i can do a little finish sanding on the hull, a few more coats of paint, then flip it over
- cockpit still needs a little sanding, then more paint, as well as all the  deck and trim.
- then its onto building the mast, boom, rudder, making sails
- i hope to put a few good weeks into it in the spring and hit the water as soon as the weather allows it

so far, i have spent approx 155 hours to get to this stage, with a cash outlay of $1740.47 for all materials, epoxy, paint etc. i was hoping to complete my build around the 2K mark, so i think i'll be close. all my paint is bought and paid for, i have enough epoxy left (total was 4 gallons) and the mast/boom/combo shouldn't cost too much to build. i may work on the rudder inside over the winter, we'll see. i am actually looking forward to a break (sick of sanding!!!) but since i didnt get any more paint on the boat, i've decided to keep her safe and warm in my garage over the winter.

i want to thank everyone on this board for creating a community where you can ask anything and someone will give you an answer to help you move forward. i'll spend my winter reading posts, learning more and looking forward to getting this boat in the water next spring, i love every minute i've spent sailing, but i can't wait to put a boat into the water that i built on my own!

bob