BYYB Forums

Full Version: Forums Upgraded
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
We have upgraded the forums to SMF 2.0.1, the most recent version.  The old version, while still supported, was due to be considered at the end of its life soon, so Craig and I thought upgrading now would make sense. I'll work on the look and feel of the entire site soon (and will try to get links to the Gallery and Home Page in the menu above soon).

Please let me know if you have any questions!
Why keep the chat room? It's ancient history and no one uses it. Still is not as easy to move around in here. Maybe it's the blue background that's hard to read for me.
Are others finding it hard to read? I'm using the default theme settings for the forums, but we can adjust the default text size easily enough (the forum will also respond to CTRL+ or CTRL and the scroll button on the mouse to enlarge text).

I don't know if the chat room is still around; they are always problematic for the amount of use they get.
Hey, I do thank you for the reply. I think I'm resisting the change because it was a comfortable place for me and visually the blue field is hard to read for me as I need a cataract operation one day. Damned old age.
I have no issues reading the text and prefer the current theme to the previous theme.  I'm a trifocal wearer lost without my glasses.  I do have a large new flat screen, so my experience may be better than most. 

(10-24-2011, 04:24 PM)fshagan link Wrote: [ -> ]Are others finding it hard to read? I'm using the default theme settings for the forums, but we can adjust the default text size easily enough (the forum will also respond to CTRL+ or CTRL and the scroll button on the mouse to enlarge text).

I don't know if the chat room is still around; they are always problematic for the amount of use they get.
I like the old color scheme better,very comfortable and easy to read for me,but then you can not please all when it comes to colors.....
One of the issues we always have is keeping the site updated and protected from attacks. That's always easier if we're using the 'default' themes. But perhaps we can install a couple of alternate themes with higher contrast that people can choose from (with the caveat being that those themes might not be available later due to lack of updates to them)

I host just over 30 websites, and BYYB and messing-about (my own boat building board) both seem to attract the most hacker attacks. I guess that's because of the forums. I just bought a new security scanner for the server and its already helped identify some suspicious files. It would slow the site down if run during peak times, so I have it running each night at 6 AM Eastern / 3 AM Pacific Time.
I have added two new themes, one with a higher contrast called "CS Manual", and one with a dark background and white lettering called "Fade to Grey".

To change themes, click on "Profile", then "Look and Layout" in the left column. It's hard to miss, but in the very first spot is a link that says "(Change)". Clicking that link will show you the themes that are available. The images below are of the two new themes available, and a numbered image of how to get to the "(Change)" link.

I need to do some graphic design on them to change the headers, and will do that if you guys like these.

The core theme looks a little better to me so I think I'll try that for awhile.

Thanks,Bob

Is the gallery back up and running Frank?