BYYB Forums

Full Version: attn cold climate owners !
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
i've got a question about storing my almost completed boat outside this winter. i need to decide if im going to move it outside (so i can park inside over the winter) but i want to get input from anyone who lives in cold climates to see if you suffer much damage from wood movement in the winter/spring. my boat is all fiberglassed and faired out, and will have at least a couple of coats of paint on the hull. i plan to store it on a stand, hull side up and covered with a tarp.

our forcasts are for another "la-nina " winter which means loads of snow and cold. here in calgary, we get wild swings from short bursts of cold (-40c) with weeks of -15 to -20 then we'll get a "chinook" (indian word for warm winds) and our temp will jump to as high as 5-10C within a day or two, then drop back down. all in all, it can be alot of ups and downs over the course of the winter.

don't ask why we live here, i have no good answer for that Smile
any input would be helpful

bob
The usual routine is to erect a boom style tent over the hull. In heavy snow areas, it should be highly peaked. A few "A" frames on deck and a well fitted cover (tarp). Dog down the tarp well so snow doesn't collapse it. A ridge pole will help tremendously. When I lived in the mid-Atlantic we brought the tarp nearly to the ground, all around the boat, so air could circulate and mold, rot and other infestations wouldn't occur. Leave all hatches, lockers and storage areas open, so they can vent too. You might get some spiders and other beasties, but these are easy enough to clean off in the spring. The key is to insure the snow sheds and ventilation so nothing rots.
You can tarp her up and keep the snow out. It will melt in the spring and may cause some mold inside the hull. No problem with joints and wood moving, and swelling in the cold. We have plenty of -40 during winters in YK, just try to keep the interior dry, and you'll be fine.

Greg
Thanks guys !
Mine wintered in Yellowknife with no problems.  I used two tarps over it and didn't allow them to sag.
Hey Paul a quick question on cold weather, my garage is un-heated/uninsulated, should I move my epoxy in-side or is it ok left out in the cold over an MN winter  (The wife would kill me if I had to fork out all that money again)
The cold can crystalize epoxy but it will not harm it.  If you leave it out and it gets cold enough for long enough the epoxy will lose its clarity.  To fix this you just put in in a warm bath and raise the temp of the epoxy until it returns to its origional state.  Epoxy is durable stuff and will sit on a shelf for as long time and remain good.
Greetings Bob,

Do the Inuit still winter their boats by just turning them upside down?

Cheers,
Tom
No idea the inuit are about 1000 miles north of me Wink
Sounds right though
I have my epoxy inside, because I use it during the winter and maintaining a reasonable viscosity is wise. If you're going to use it, freezing weather will crystallize portions of it, but as Chris mentions, just warming it up will reconstitute the molecules and all will be good again. As simple as placing the jug or can in a bath of warm water (as hot as your water heater makes it).