BYYB Forums

Full Version: New Blog
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've really enjoyed reading the posts on this board and following all of the links. I've learned so much by reading about other people's experience's. I started a blog on my Super Skipjack build and in a effort to "give back" I thought I'd post the link here.

http://tomsskipjack.blogspot.com

I'll try to post a bunch of pictures and discuss my thought process. As with many here, this is my first boat build or major woodworking project. I don't know that my craft-manship will be anywhere close to what I have seen here, but I'm having fun and learning a lot.

Wow great idea! I just finished glassing my hull today, you can plan on about 3 gallons of epoxy for your build , ill start fairing the hull later this week. Keep the photos coming
Nice job! One tip: I like a MUCH longer tiller than the plans call for. Just a thought...I also wanted to use the old axe-handle concept we used in the original Skipjack plans and so I made mine that way.

Great blog: Thanks!

Mike
Im planning to go with an axe handle i tried it out and seems like the perfect fit
Thanks for the tip. I felt like it was a little short and I was thinking about making a longer one. I'll start checking out axe handles too.
Yeah, after Monday's fairly blustery sail, I am quite glad I have the longer tiller. Not for helm pressure, but so I can move around the cockpit more and still keep a hand (or foot) on the tiller.

I'm going to amend the plans when I get a chance.

Mike
Looking great !
Thanks Bob.

I was a little nervous about getting the transom to fit right. I "trained" it for a couple of days by using a tie down strap I use in my truck bed. I ratcheted it at the top of the transom so that it put the right amount of bend to it. When I unstrapped it right before gluing it up it fit really well. I just needed to push down a little on each side of the deck to get it all screwed up.

I was a bit surprised at how solid it became after I had everything screwed down. I thought it would be a little wobbly without the sides on but it isn't that way at all.

i think i made an error when measuring either the deck or the bottom of the boat as my transom was going to be way to big a battle to bend far enough. i wound up re-doing the aft portion of the deck, and created a slightly curved transom, which i think i really like, i've attached a photo showing the transom as well as the rudder mount which i extended to the deck as my tiller is going over the deck, not through the transom. sometimes you've gotta roll with your mistakes and make it work, but i'm happy with the result
ive got a better picture easier to see the rudder mount, ill post it later