BYYB Forums

Full Version: Another Vacationer build about to begin
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello all, 
Thought I'd stop lurking long enough to introduce myself and Say hello. My name is Matt Cook and I am from north Florida. My family has been on the water for many generations so boats and such are not new to me. we have always built our own boats, however they have always been power boats used for fishing, we're pretty sure that I am the only member of my family to mess with sail after the invention of the powerboat.

I have really admired the lines of the vacationer for some time now and told myself that if ever I became boat poor that she was next on the list. Well that time has come! (even if I did have to give my skiff to mother to become so!)

After studying the plans and reading bunches of info on this site and several others I am going to make some changes as she is built.

Change 1:  more traditional keel design with a little more draft. Thank to  Mr. Paul Riccelli for the idea
Change 2:  Going to square off the front of the cabin, mount the cabin bulkhead perpindicular, raise the cabin roof by 2" and move the companionway to the port side of the house.  Mostly to give it a more old school look/ more interior space/ simplify construction/ and provide a more enclosed head area when my gals need it.
Change 3: try to fit sleeping arrangements for 2 + 1
Change 4: Birdsmouth poles of course....
Change 5: Maybe a cutter type rig for the forsail

I'm sure there are numerous other changes made as we progress......  If anyone has any thoughts on these changes please speak up.  Having watched and read alot on here, I have seen no mean or unhelpful post's anywhere ( which is no small feat theses days!!) Folks on here just seem to be really supportive and helpful.

I'm sure that we will record this endeavor via pics so i hope to have a bunch of those to show as we go and look forward to hearing from yall...
Good luck! You'll find this site to be a huge help, there's a wealth of info on this board
Your changes sound very reasonable, though I would advise against off setting the companionway hatch very far from the centerline. Even though most think of Vacationer as the "big" boat, it's still a small craft and fairly easy to put a rail under in normal, if gusty conditions. In this situation, you can easily find the off set hatch can scoop up enough water, in just a few seconds, to swamp the boat. A rule of thumb I use for a safe off set distance is; there should be at least the width of the hatch on the cabin roof, outboard of the companionway opening, after it's off set. This said, if off setting a few to several inches helps with your interior accommodations change, then go for it.
Having sailed the Vac Saralee in all kinds of weather, up to and including stupid, I must agree with Paul on the hatch relocation.  The beam just isn't there to give you what I think you are after so it would just add complication. 
good information to have.  thanks for the input....  I will have to reconsider some things.  was hoping to use the extra space to setup an head area that is enclosable.
WHOOOAAA  NELLEY!!!!!  the lumber gods just tossed out my anchor on this project, at least untill i figure out which would be the best way to go. so in the meantime i'm gonna build my mom a fishing skiff with the ACX supply i started gathering and hope this is the good stuff cause i cant seem to get anything from my retailer other than "Yea  Its exterior grade dude!"
Call up Joel at Bateau.com and ask about plywood and shipping, Matt. My understanding is shipping is 100 bucks anywhere in state and you are. They'll toss your stuff on a truck and wait until they're delivering in your area . . . Hell, even Yellow Freight will do it for about that.
here is the latest info direct from bateau via boat builder central.

all meranti 6566 ply
12mm  12 sheets, 6mm 8 sheets, 19mm 1 sheet          $1,141.00
shipping to commerial site                                            $95.00
shipping to residential site                                          $185.00

You sure do seem to have a good handle on this stuff mr. paul,  your patience is greatly appreciated!
this places my projected cost in the range of $4500.00 for the completed project which includes the store bought sails but minus motor.
I do agree that the hull is no place to skimp when it comes to materials or workmanship.  this is why i haven't plunged ahead with construction grade c/d ply.  I just cant see putting out thousands of dollars and countless hours on a hull that wont hold up as it should.

hello all started the skiff this week will post it in a new topic with pics.