BYYB Forums

Full Version: love, love, love, my reef points
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
SWMBO decided that I needed a new set of sails for my birthday.  Cool.  So, I bought a set for my weekender from the Stevensons' website.  I got a set with the reef points.  I've been using the sails all summer and am very happy with them.  Up to this point I haven't needed the reef points, though I probably should have used them at least once before this. 

Today, I had a real need to go sailing.  The wind was within acceptable limits I figured, so off I went.  When I got to the landing I could see that the water beyond the wind shadow of the point near the dock was in a word shaggy.  The waves weren't high, because they didn't have much of a fetch, but it had the look of the hair on the back of a husky.  I've seen this before, and it made me a little nervous just standing there.  What the hell I thought, I have reef points.  Even if it goes south on me, it is a quick turn around to the dock.  I tied the reef in to the main sail on the trailer and launched.  Getting away from the dock was a breeze, but the second I stuck my beak out past the wind shadow of the point, the whole world changed.  When I checked the weather after getting home I learned the wind was from the west at 16 mph gusting to 25 at the airport.  Yeah, that seemed about right.  I was beating SW in a WSW wind, sailing as close hauled as I could.  The boat was lively but not any worse than many times before.  I soon forgot that I had a reef tucked in and sailed as aggresively as I always do.  On the first long tack I was sitting on the rail with spray from the bow hitting me in the face.  When a gust would hit, I had no trouble adjusting for it and was holding a nice steady course.

I had a few screw ups, but the boat helped me through them.  Paul:  I did notice quite a bit of side slip, but it happened right after coming out of a tack and I think I had inadvertently hove to.  There was absolutely no forward motion and a nice flat slick on the windward side of the boat.  I wish I could remember exactly what I had done .  Maybe next time. 

I also managed to sail right up to the dock under jib alone.  It was a beautiful thing.  I almost felt like Keith S, though his docking maneuver was pretty and mine left the jib a bit of a mess to clean up.

Anyway, I can't recommend reef points enough.

Al
Congratulations, you've sailed with a main reefed and everything was fine. That's what's suppose to happen! I tell folks often how important it is to get a reef in, before you have your paints down and the Chinese fire drill to tie them in underway has to happen. If you want to get hurt or break some equipment, them just wait too long and try to tie in a reef. It's not too bad if you have experience and the boat is setup properly for reefing, but most of these boats are day sailors and run for shore when the weather kicks up.

I'm not sure what you did in the tack, but if you where a little lazy with the jib coming over to the new side, then you may have skidded a bit, partly heave off. I've never tried it in a Weekender, but I'd imagine you lie too about on a close reach, skidding sideways, fore reaching at about a knot or two, depending on wind strength.

This is a good thing to practice. The next time you're out tack the boat, but don't release the windward sheet. The main will flop over, but the jib will "foul" on the old tack. If the jib is on a boom, then use a preventer (a length of line tied to something, like a rail) to keep the boom from falling off on the new tack. Then haul in on the main sheet tight. Next if using a tiller, push it towards the mainsail (hard over) and lash it down. If using a wheel spin it hard over to windward and lash it.

You're now heaved too. The boat will be sailing at about 50 degrees to the wind and she'll be upright (surprisingly), in seemingly calm seas (even if it's not) and she'll be jogging along doing a knot or two. This is a great way to take a break, make some coffee, light up a fatty, tuck in a reef, get some one on one time with the one that must be obeyed or other chores around the ship. To get out of it, just release the helm and the boat will spin around and you'll be sailing along again, like nothing happened.

This is a hugely handy skill to develop. You can use it to sneak up on a dock or mooring or just to change you shorts cause you had an "accident".
Hmmm. I need to try this...Sounds handy indeed.

Al: I'm glad you had a fun sail in hotter conditions! It's neat to get these out in heavier stuff and the reef points are just the ticket for that. I'm glad they helped you have a good day on the water. As far as post-tack slippage, perhaps you pointed up a bit too quickly and the boat stalled? I know I have been guilty of forgetting to let these designs build up speed before pointing up, so I try to be conscious of not pinching too much. This may have been what happened?

It sounds like more data will be required: You'll have to go sailing more, sorry...

Mike
We often sail in 20 kt. and gusting with Rosebud in SF bay and on to Stockton (central Calif.) with a reef. It's great fun. Warren
Warren, I would like to bring my SSkip up and go for a sail soon. Any outings planned this Fall? I love how you're organising your club! I'll happily drive up when I can!

Mike
One thing I forgot to mention was that it was the best speed I've gotten out of her by far.  Even on a straight downwind run, I was hearing water noises that I hadn't heard before.  All with reduced sail.  I do have a jiffy reef system on my boat, but I agree with you Paul, and don't want to use it unless I absolutely have to. 

It seems that I read somewhere around here about another way to heave to.  I think it was Keith S who suggested that if you let the main luff, you can balance out the jib and rudder to heave to.  I haven't specificly tried that, but I did manage to lose my grip on the main sheet after one of my tacks which could have been that one, and ended up balanced between the rudder and jib.  I don't remember.  Anyway, yes one of the skills I want to develop this year is a reliable heave to maneuver.  I alway sail alone, so being able to take a break will surely come in handy. 

Al
Smart thinking; not only is it good to be able to take a break, it allows for sandwich retrieval, looking around to enjoy the scenery, etc