BYYB Forums

Full Version: Greatings!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I just want to take an opportunity to introduce myself. I'm Tom McCaffrey and I live in north Florida in the "big bend" region of the gulf coast. I've ordered and received the plans for the Super Skipjack. I was looking for a day sailor that I can use to island hop along the coast here and sail in he bays. I like the larger cockpit on the Skipjack as opposed to the Weekender. Also, with the heat in this part of the country I didn't see me using the cabin for much more than to throw junk in and weigh me down. I've ordered my epoxy and hope to start shortly. In the meantime I'll start on making some dead-eyes and the parts for the rudder.

I have been reading all of the posts on this board and really appreciate all of the good information. This is the first time I've built a boat but I feel like I've been through several builds just by reading your posts.
Welcome to the fun! I'm also building the skipjack so far its been alot of fun , i'll post more pics shortly
Thanks Bob. I'm watching your build closely since I'll be following in your wake.

Here is a picture of the first cut I made for a dead-eye. I'm planning on building a boat around it.
(08-30-2011, 04:32 AM)Tom McCaffrey link Wrote: [ -> ]Here is a picture of the first cut I made for a dead-eye. I'm planning on building a boat around it.

Nice! Maybe I should start there too, as I don't (yet?) have any place to build my boat. Any suggestions for the proper dimensions and material considerations for deadeyes?
There is a link on the Stevenson Project web-site. Check out the paper miniatures too. You probably have plenty of room for them.

www.stevproj.com/planlets.html

Here are a couple of more pictures. I still need to cut the groves around the sides and do some more sanding. I moved on to the rudder box, rudder and tiller for now.
(08-30-2011, 09:15 AM)Tom McCaffrey link Wrote: [ -> ]There is a link on the Stevenson Project web-site. Check out the paper miniatures too. You probably have plenty of room for them.

www.stevproj.com/planlets.html

Thanks. Your link didn't work for me, but I found the page at http://www.stevproj.com/Planlets.html - possibly the uppercase P made a difference. I got the actual plan from www.stevproj.com/DeadEye.pdf.

I have made one paper model already, of the Weekender. But my dream is a small boat, so I probably will go for the Super Skipjack - or something in between. I call the project "Saturday" for a shortened Weekender. The name of the boat herself will be revealed at the launching ceremony. My plan is to make a "proper" model over the winter, while I wait for the garage. Probably out of real plywood, in something like 1:10 scale. I figure that if I make many enough mistakes in that scale, I may avoid some of them when I do the real thing.

The servers are case-sensitive, so the "P" was the trick!

Another SSkip builder; Cool! I have been having fun with mine...Deadeyes, though, I didn't think to do. Nice touch. Give yourself some room for rig adjustment and taking up slack in the dead-eye. The plans should be enough scope.

Heikki: Are you building a SSkip as well?

Mike
(08-30-2011, 04:32 PM)mikestevenson link Wrote: [ -> ]Heikki: Are you building a SSkip as well?

Sorry to say, so far it is on the day dreaming state. I am on a waiting list for a garage (live in an apartment) which will be just big enough for the SSkip. I have the drawings both for SSkip and the Weekender. This winter I hope to build a 1:10 model in real plywood (0.4 0r 0.8mm) and balsa. I still dream of just enough cabin on the SSkip to sleep in, and to keep the sleeping bag dry. Decidedly one-person boat, with the option to take one friend out to show off.
Well, you have plans for both so see which size hull suits you and then mock-up a cabin and you can add that just large enough to fit your needs! Or a convertible cabin, like we did with the Weekender in Kauai, only a tiny bit smaller?

Mike