BYYB Forums

Full Version: new membership
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello fellow builders, Marine plywood is not available and the closest I can get is Fir (G2S).
(08-22-2011, 11:35 AM)Shawn Greenwood link Wrote: [ -> ]Hello fellow builders, Marine plywood is not available and the closest I can get is Fir (G2S).

Hi, and welcome here!

Are you sure marine ply is not available? Here in Copenhagen (Denmark, Europe), I had to go into two shops before I met anyone who even knew what I was talking about, and then two more where they had heard of marine ply, but didn't know where to get it. And then one who could point me to a place, which said "yes, of course. Do you want Mahogany or Teak?".  Everything is expensive here in Denmark, but marine plywood seems to be especially expensive.

I haven't bought anything yet, need a place to build first. But I have the drawings for the Weekender, and for the Super Skipjack, and probably end up building something in between (short as the SJ, but with just enough of a cabin to be able to sleep in, and to keep things a bit dry. The boat doesn't have a name yet (and even if it did, I would not mention it before the launch day), but I call the project "Saturday", a kind of shortened weekend.

Best of luck with yours!
Hi Heikki: Thanks for your input, okkum or mahogany or teak is well out of my price range (well into the $100 per sheet, over the internet from Noah's) and I have been to every building supply store here in Sault Ste Marie, Ontario, Canada. They laugh loadly when I ask about marine plywood, like it is some big joke?

I received my plans from Stevenson's Projects out of Texas on the weekend and I have a name for my Pocket Crusier but like you,I don't want to offend the sea god neptune by specking it. Ha Ha!
Welcome aboard Shawn!  I live in Billings, Montana and had trouble finding marine plywood locally.  The two shops that said they would order it were busts.  The one yard got me an order of American made fir marine plywood that was of such poor quality that I have passed it over on two none boat sheeting projects.  I have been told that it is because most American plywood makers are running older gear with worn out surface sanders but the stuff I got had think areas of wood slivering away from the top and bottom layers of the board.  The second shop said they ordered it but when nothing showed up for 6 weeks ask me to resubmit my order.

I gave up on the local shops/yards and ordered it online from a place in California.  It cost me $109 for shipping but I bought 10 sheets of 1/4" and 3/8" mixed.  It was called hydrotek which is a merenti type of plywood.  Great stuff!  A bit heavier then the okume, another type of marine ply but very strong.  It is made from wood they call African mahogany.  I had never heard of that but it is reddish in color with a nice smooth finish.

The nose of my little boat is a triangle, ruffly 4 feet on each side.  It is decked in the 3/8" hydrotek.  I weigh 300+ pounds (no whale comments please I am working on it) and it doesn't sag or move at all when I kneel on it.  Compare that to normal 1/2' ply that bows notably when I walk on the roof and that's supported every 2'.  Marine ply is typically several layers thick.  The 1/4" stuff I got had 5 plys and the 3/8" had 7 plys.  If done correctly each ply is out of align with the others giving the plywood a very ridged strength.  I am not the wood experts that others on the forum are but for the money I would order marine ply from somewhere.  Others have used regular ply and are ok with it but the difference in cost is not that great when you consider the entire project costs.
Hi Shawn,
I think we all had your problem, but the real problem was our ignorance on local professional timber marker. I used to seek in DIY department stores or in dealers for building constructions that had only cheap and low quality plywood and fir, used for scaffolding and for temporary setups.
Then, after I had bought my supply yet, I knew about many dealers cheaper.
My advices are:
1. look in the internet for timber dealers and call them all, do not send e-mail because may be they consider you not a rich customer and don't waste time to answer you.
2. ask to professionals in your area (plumbers, house builders etc..)
3. Visit marine equipment suppliers. They work in this sector and they know many other operators. They will help you, because you will become their customer for blocks, lines, fenders, outboards, lifejackets, electric systems...

Gianluigi
Greetings Shawn,

There are some places across the river in Michigan that carry marine plywoods in various species (Okoume, Sapelli, Sipo, etc) that are close enough to drive to. I did a quick google search of [ michigan marine plywood ] and found a place in Gaylord.

This web page might help ... http://www.glen-l.com/resources/lumber-suppliers.html ... I didn't look too closely at all of the towns in Michigan, but Traverse City isn't too far away.

Can you get across the border with a pickup truck loaded with a dozen sheets of plywood without getting in trouble with customs?

Cheers,
Tom
ACX fir will work but you need to fill any voids you open when sawing the parts out.  Customs can be a PITA sometimes escpeially with wood products.  I would call them first.