BYYB Forums

Full Version: looking for advice on paint, primers, etc
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
before i attach the sides of my hull, i want to paint/prime the areas i won't be able to reach later,
any suggestions about the type of paint best used over epoxy, and also, anyone know if 3m 5200 is paintable or should it go on over paint? i have a couple tubes and was planning to use it around all the below water seams as an extra layer of protection since i can't return it.
Bob, the 5200 should go on first and I found some paint at Lowes after West Marine couldn't get the colors I wanted in Petit Easypoxy. It's Rustoleum Marine paint and we have had great success with it. Plus it is only $11.00 a qt. versus $38.00 a qt. I should tell you that I am a signpainter and have worked with paint my whole life. I have been using the Rustoleum for 3 yrs now and with some car wax once a year it has held up well on my boat, in fact I have reglassed and overhauled everything and repainted with the Rustoleum. Warren ;D
The Rustoleum product is getting good reviews. I've used it and it's not bad, though compared to BrightSide it's not as glossy, nor "flows" out as well. It does have better coverage then BrightSide and some other "marine" modified alkyds, but I suspect it's solids content is similar.

Considering it's price and use on a trailer boat, you'll get good service from it, if you keep the boat clean and covered. I don't have any long term durability on Rustoleum, but it should be favorable. I have a cheap project (I should say cheap customer) in house now and I'll use Rustoleum on it. I'll see this boat regularly in the next few years, so . . .
What they said.

Plus, rustoleum has a semi gloss white for decks and what not that works wonders on a less than perfect fairing job.  The rap on using white for decks and such has been that it reflects light until it fries your retinas.  This stuff is not bad at all.  If you want a shade off of white, you can mix other rustoleum paints into it with no problems. 

It washes up pretty good too.

Al
Thnks ill look to see if they carry it here!
Having had the pleasure of seeing Warren's work in person, both his boats and his fine art, I will wholeheartedly follow his advice! He knows of which he speaks...

Mike
We have a similar paint in Canada called Tremclad that I use a lot.  One thing I like about it is that it has a very opaque pigment in all colours so that means better coverage and less coats.

Given my less than perfect carpentry skills and the fact that the boat gets dirty, I use a colour that they have called "recreation white".  It's an off-white that doesn't show dirt well as opposed to a glossy white that will show each spec.
I used Rustoleum on the tops sides of myboat and found it to be superior to all other is the price range.  Easy to apply.
no rustoleum available here, andrew are you talking about tremclad rust paint?
Yep - looking online it would appear that Tremclad is owned by RustOleum now.

I work with a bunch of guys who are "very" knowledgable about paint (we sell chemicals into that industry) and they also recommended this paint too.  They also said to avoid a primer - it was a scam on these paints as the formulation is exactly the same - you're just buying white paint.

For me, I like it since it is opaque and dries hard fairly quickly.  I wrap my brushes in plastic so that I can use then the next day for the second coat and then throw them out.

On my first few builds I used latex not knowing that it can take up to 30 days for latex paint to fully cure.  I had the paint peel right off the bottom of one boat.

One other tip - avoid yellow.  It is incredibly hard to formulate an opaque yellow.