BYYB Forums

Full Version: Sail covers
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Greetings, mates.

For those of you who made sail covers for your Weekenders to protect the sails while zipping down the highway to your favorite lake, how did you do it?  What materials did you use, and what type of closures?

I made one out of white poly tarp with industrial strength velcro as the closures on the underside.  (The velcro came with industrial strength sticky on the back that adhered well to the poly tarp.)  It worked well for two seasons, then the double-sided carpet tape that held part of it together gave out.  Now I'm looking for more suggestions.

Bill
Bill the Saralee had a Sunbrella cover fastened with twistlocks.  Just keep the back end from flapping.
I've had two sets.  One from ripstop nylon with a full length zipper on the underside and a pair of Velcro added tabs that wrapped around the mast base.  It lasted about 5 seasons before ripping along the sewn line of the zipper.  This was primarily the result of trying to have it too tight around the bulk of the sail, gaff boom and main boom.  Had it been a little looser it most of likely would still be fine.
The other set is from Sunbrella with the same comb of full length zipper(s), from both eneds to meet at the main sheet block on the bottom side of the boom and a pair of tabs with velcro to wrap around the mast base forward.  This has been on the boat for two years although not down the road as yet.  This set is a little looser but still contains everything.  I also have two velcro straps about 48" long that wrap around the bulk of it ina spiral wrap down the center of the boom to keep the bulk of it tight for traveling down the highway.  I expect that this one will last as long as the boat is well taken care of.    Plan doing another one for the other Weekender too.

Having them too loose and flapping about against the boom, gaff and blocks plus all the other hardward will do the majority of the damage to the cover.  Both of these covers were closed at the back end and when the velcro wraps around the mast base it snugs things up tight, fore to aft ends of the boom and gaff.  Wrapping a length of line or straps in a sprial around the length of the whole works will keep it from flapping about and is easily managed.
Traveling down the highway is the fastest way to shorten the life of your sails and rigging. I do it all the time, but I also have sailing areas literally within a stones throw, so it's not an issue for me. If you have to travel more then a few miles each way to the boat ramp then your sails, any attachments, the rigging and their attachments will be truly tested and will wear out much sooner then if kept stowed.
Hey Bill,

I found out pretty quick what damage can be done at highway speed so I made a cover out of regular blue poly tarp that ties around the sail and boom/gaff only.  It is a pain to tie up, but it seems to do a good job.  Because it is such a hassle, I am looking to make a new one, that will cover the whole maggilla and tie with parachute cord, but much more simply.  My temporary one is nothing more than a tarp that I cut to fit around the sail with 1/4 inch cord cut and taped to it every 16 inches. 

What about that boss cover I saw Surprise under at Pepin?  I was going to ask where you got that, but forgot.  Is that too much hassle on a day to day basis?

Al Stead
Weekender Jumping Duck
Greetings all,

I stumbled on a Weekender for sale in 2006 at Sailing World in Volo, Illinois. She was a nice boat, but the very firm $5,000 asking price was a little much.

She had a whole-boat canvas cover that had been custom designed for a Weekender. The cover included an integral sock that slipped over the bowsprit, darts and pleats that fit snugly over the folded mast, with snaps around the perimeter to attach the cover tightly to the hull just below the bottom rub rail.

Sadly, I have no photos of the cover.

But this is the boat, and the anchors for the snaps are clearly visible below the lower rub rail ...

[Image: 01.jpg][Image: 05.jpg][Image: 07.jpg][Image: 10.jpg]

If anybody in Ohio still remembers who built her, or if the current owner still still has the cover, let us know. I would be curious to know who made the cover.

Cheers,
Tom
Since I will be trailering my little boat everywhere I should have considered wind and road wear and tear but didn't.  I'll probably just sew a long sock of cheap canvas type cloth for the sail or maybe just a wrap with snaps every foot.  Along the same lines but concerning the hull what if anything would you suggest for a trailered boat that will be towed mostly on gravel roads?

In Montana most of the roads that lead to the few lakes and reservoirs we have are gravel.  The travel speed on these roads is usually 55mph so there is quite a lot of flying rock chips involved.  Vehicles used on these roads average 2-3 major windshield chips or cracks each year.  My insurance agent made me drop the 100% comp coverage I had on my outfits because of the number of windshield replacements.

I have been considering plating the trailer in extruded aluminum sheeting or some cheap 1/4 ply to protect the bottom of the boat.  I thought it would act as a shield and if tapered at the front and flared at the sides would not look like a box with a boat in it going down the road.  I am installing a flap that goes completely across the back of my truck which will reduce the quantity of chips also.  I just envision getting to the lake only to find a good bit of my paint has been removed.

Any other ideas or suggestions?  Anyone else tow their boats on gravel at road speeds?  These are two lane roads and driving 25-30mph would get you far more attention than you would want to garner.  Given the distances it would also make the trip hours longer which, if it would save the boat hull some,  would be time well spent.
Didn't tow on gravel but went to San Carlos Mexico, halfway to Mazatlan from no. calif. and wraped my sail with a vynal banner that worked well.
I've towed my Glen-L-desinged Console Skiff extensively over her 10 year lifespan, although not on gravel roads.  The road damage she has sustained has been on the sides of the bow, and I suspect that it's rocks thrown up from the rear wheels of the truck that have caused it.  Would mud flaps or something similar on your tow vehicle help?  Or perhaps some sort of canvas/fabric cover for the hull in vulnerable areas? 
I have a long piece of canvas that I lay on the mast. It covers the sails nicely and I wrap a bungee cord around it every 18 inches or so. Never gives me a problem
Pages: 1 2