BYYB Forums

Full Version: Newbie in AZ
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi, everyone!  I've just received my plans for a Weekender, but I thought it might be helpful to start with a smaller project, to get familiar with techniques like glassing which I've never tried.  So I thought it might be good to start with a MiniCup.  My back yard is a man-made water feature just big enough to sail a small boat, and it seems within my skills (and budget) to start small.  Too hot to work in the garage in Phoenix, but I could start in a month or so.

On a different topic, I once had plans for a take-apart, cartoppable catamaran.  This was probably 35 years ago, but I thought it was a Stevenson plan.  I never got to build it, but it always seemed eminently do-able.  Does anyone remember those plans?  Maybe I should post this in a different forum.

Anyway, good to be here, ,and I hope to hear from others in the area.
Welcome Paul, it is my belief that you should go straight at the Weekender, so many try building something smaller first and end up never building the boat they wanted! There will be plenty of times to practice on some small part of the boat and hone your skills. Good luck and stay with us. Warren ;D
Yes build the boat you really want.  Most folks don't have even one boat in them.  Only a very few have more than one boat.
Thanks, guys.  I really want to build the Weekender, but I'm afraid that would mean putting it off, maybe as much as another year.  I appreciate your encouragement, though, and the sense of community I'm finding here at BYYB.
Paul where are you in PHX?  There are at least three of us here who have built Weekenders and Vacs.
Great I would love to meet you and see some of your work.

I'm in west Mesa (almost Tempe).  Dobson Ranch area at about Baseline and Dobson.
All of my work has been sold off; however, Bill is starting a new build.  A fella in Mesa bought the Saralee a couple years ago.  Bill's boat is a small lapstake, I forget the name.  He is recently home from the Wooden Boat School where they built the hull of this boat.  You are very close to the build site.  Rural and baseline area.  I am in Fountain Hills.  Next time I go down I'll give you a shout and come along.  I had to go to a meeting in the middle of this post so hense the modification.    8) 8) 8)
Great to hear there are experienced builders so close.  (As an old-time Valley resident, from the time when there was only one freeway, I even consider Fountain Hills as pretty close.) 

Well, if there are no finished boats to see, I guess we'll have to change that.  I'm gonna have to get busy.