BYYB Forums

Full Version: keels built and the building plan is in place
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
took about 5.5 hours, but the keel is done for my super skipjack. i'm doing this 1st build on a budget, and after reading a huge number of posts on this board, this is how i'm going to proceed:

- plywood keel is built using construction grade plywood with waterproof glue, i may apply a shoe of some sort to it
- i used titebond 3 on the keel and am using 3m 5200 throughout the rest of the boat
- i'll fiberglass the boat and keel using 6oz cloth and polyester resin (epoxy would have been at least $430.00 polyester will be under $100.00)
- building a wood mast, and will probably raise the boom a little for headroom, other then that, i'm going to stick to the plans
- i'm keeping a good record of time and costs

my goal is to hit water before the end of the year, and although i know there are ways i could be building this boat to last longer, i'll be happy to get a few years of fun out of this one, and plan on a larger build down the road. as soon as there is something to look at, i'll start posting some pictures, hoping to get started on the hull in the next week or so.
Glad to see your making sawdust. The company that I got my epoxy from is Viking Plastic, www.vikingplastics.ca. They are located on southside on Edmonton. Another good source of supplies is Boatcraft, also on southside. They both offer mail order, or you could drive up from Calgary.

Greg
thanks, i'll call and ask them, i went to industrial paint and plastics here, and the pricing is nuts, $215.00 for a 1.5 gallon epoxy kit compared to 39.99 for 1 gallon of polyester, but you bet, i AM making a bunch of sawdust!
(07-31-2011, 02:26 PM)bob lee link Wrote: [ -> ]thanks, i'll call and ask them, i went to industrial paint and plastics here, and the pricing is nuts, $215.00 for a 1.5 gallon epoxy kit compared to 39.99 for 1 gallon of polyester, but you bet, i AM making a bunch of sawdust!

If you are paying $215.00 for 1.5 gallons of epoxy you haven't done your homework. Try the marine expoxy at duckworks or www.bateau.com.  A 1.5 gallon kit is about $100.00 and is actually waterproof. 
chris;

i've actually done a mountain of homework, there are very few suppliers in calgary, and when importing this product into canada, it has to be handled by a broker with a license to import what is considered to be chemical (spoken to a few people in town who have actually had product turned back at the border) it's not cost effective to order it myself. BUT, with the prices i see on the Boatcraft site in edmonton at under 94 bucks a gallon, i'll be switching to epoxy as soon as i can place an order tomorrow! i'd much rather use the epoxy as a glue / waterproof coating , easier to use just 1 product for everything
Considering the previous choices you've made, you'd be strongly advised to exclusively use epoxy as your adhesive and of course, for coatings. Your plywood keel will challenge moisture ingress every season, even with epoxy use. As for 5200, this is a sealant, with particularity good adhesive qualities, but don't consider it an adhesive like TiteBond (which isn't really and adhesive either). If you must use this stuff (3M 5200), then use it to seal seams, but not as a structural anything. Greg and Ryerson should be able to help in the stick-um department.
thanks guys, i am going to order the epoxy and use it throughout, now that i've finally found a realistic price here. i'll use the 5200 as a sealant after construction, and just seal all the interior seams with it, as well as all the fittings etc 
I've kind of stepped back from using sealer adhesives like 5200.  If you think that you might ever need to disassemble any of the parts that you stuck that stuff on, good luck.  I had to use a sledge to break the seal between my bow sprit and the stem, and all I did was seal the bolt hole.  The epoxy should seal your seams perfectly well if you get enough in there to get some squeeze out all along the joint.  For deck jewelery I'm using a combination of regular caulk and diilgent regular inspections.

For sure, laminate some kind of wood shoe over your end grain on your plywood keel.  It is really easy to do, and will help immensely.

Al Stead
Weekender Jumping Duck
Agreed, 3M 5200 has limited usefulness on this type of construction. Personally, I have little need for this particular 3M product, though I do use several others.
Epoxy ordered today, thanks greg, i called boatcraft they seem great to deal with
Ill save the 5200 i bought and use it as a sealer if neededÂ